Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

old workers assigned to office corner? 2008/7/9 14:27
My previous trips to Japan for business made me wonder why elderly office workers, whom the company have very littlke need of, but are being kept due to their loyalty are assigned to office tables away from the rest - either at the cornersmost or by the window. What's the Japanese term used for this?
by yong sarza  

madogiwa 2008/7/10 06:58
The term you are looking for is "madogiwa", which kind of means view from a window.

The practice is a form of private welfare for loyal employees. It was considered more decent than having such people put on public welfare. However, the practice is dying with activist stockholders getting more of a say in company affairs. It's all about moeny now.
by Natsuki rate this post as useful

madogiwa-zoku 2008/7/10 07:44
It's "madogiwa-zoku" literally meaning "the window(mado)-side(giwa)-set(zoku)".
by Uco rate this post as useful

term 2008/7/10 07:47
Btw, I suppose I should note that, probably as the OP intended to know, the term "madogiwazoku" is an insult more commonly used among madogiwazoku themselves to humble themselves. Of course, just because an older employee's desk is at the window-side, that doesn't necessarily mean he's truly a madogiwazoku.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread