Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do you seperate garbage in Japan? 2008/7/15 15:40
How do you separate garbage out there? What is the proper way?
by Micha from Los Angeles  

Where I live... 2008/7/15 21:25
Out here in Japan, it depends on the city you live in. It also changes from time to time, but in the part of Tokyo I live in, currently we have to separate garbage into quite a few different types.

On Monday we put out "burnable garbage"- basically food scraps and non-recyclable paper and plastics.
On Wednesday we put out recyclable paper, PET bottles (i.e. plastic water and soda bottles), and every second Wednesday "unburnable garbage", which is things like metal lids and broken glass or china.
On Thursday we put out cans, glass and recyclable plastic.
On Friday burnable garbage again.

This has changed recently as plastic used to be "unburnable garbage" but it is now recyclable.

Oversized garbage you have to pay to have collected by the city office at a certain time.

Different areas of Japan have different rules.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/15 22:22
Here is the Shibuya ward/city office guide on disposal, its pretty much similar (in how to separate, and types of garbage to separate) in most parts of Japan.
http://www.city.shibuya.tokyo.jp/eng/living/garbage.html

As for the actual days items are collected, each area has different days, in Tokyo, it depends on the city or ward you live in, and in each city/ward, the dates may vary depending on which specific area of the city/ward you live in. Also some cities require certain garbage (eg burnable garbage) to be placed in city designated bags you have to purchase (not all places in Japan are like this, the place I live in happens to be one of those places though @_@).
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread