Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese informal phrases 2008/7/15 15:53
..more like words/phrases i couldn't find on the net. I usually will look up in dictionary or google first to find the meaning of unknown phrases. I'd finally resolve to japan-guide if i couldn't find it. Please help if you know!

I was watching a Japanese show and these phrases below came up and i couldn't figure out the meaning of it...

01) The guy was squeezing an athlete's muscle and he commented "ハンパないっすね"

02) あんだけ振っといて、どっちかっつーと、オレが落とすべきだろ! The word that i wanted to know is "どっちかっつーと". From my understanding, he means "It shook so much, however it is/either way, i'll be the one who's to be blamed/at fault/who failed"

03) 言いたくなっちゃった Does that mean "i can't say it"?

Cheers!
by foru  

... 2008/7/15 19:51
01) The guy was squeezing an athlete's muscle and he commented "ハンパないっすね"

I imagine that to be short for ハンパじゃないっすね, which further can be turned into "textbook Japanese" as follows:

はんぱ ではないです ね。(literally: it's no half-baked stuff = it's serious)

"hanpa" or "chuto hanpa" means "half-baked," "not serious," insignificant,"so the guy is impressed with the muscle and saying "This is serious stuff!" "Your muscle is amazing!"

02) あんだけ振っといて、どっちかっつーと、オレが落とすべきだろ! The word that i wanted to know is "どっちかっつーと". From my understanding, he means "It shook so much, however it is/either way, i'll be the one who's to be blamed/at fault/who failed"

どっちかっつーと is real colloquially written version of どっちかというと or どちらかというと (meaning "rather.")

I will need to see the whole dialogue to be sure, but I have a feeling that this "futtoite" and "ore ga otosu" means something completely different, if it's talking about boy-girl thing :) In this context, "furu" means to "(girl) rejects (a boy's approach)," and "otosu" means "succefully seduces/wins over (a girl)."

03) 言いたくなっちゃった Does that mean "i can't say it"?

Again, textbook version will be: 言いたく なって しまった, meaning "now I want to say it." You might say 言いたくなった should suffice for that meaning, but "... (te) shimau" adds the meaning of "unintentionally..." or "incidentally..." or "regrettabley...(something happens.)" So in this case I would interpret the sentence to mean "(I'm not supposed to mention it, but whoops,) now I want to say it."
by AK rate this post as useful

thanks AK-san 2008/7/15 23:59
I really appreciate your willingness to help. Some Japanese phrases can't just be learned off the net just like that.. So i have to ask someone native or experienced in the language.

About the 2nd question, the first guy was saying 「ミスじゃない!誰?あんなに揺らして。超、うまいよ!」My understanding is "It wasn't a mistake! Who was it that shook the (tower) so much? He's seriously good!" The first guy was playing a game and he lost the game but he didn't want to admit it. So the second guy retorted 「色々失敗だよ!あんだけ振っといて、どっちかっつーと、オレが落とすべきだろ!」Ok i'm not really sure what this phrase means "どっちかっつーと" and i thought "落" is a noun and "すべき" is a completely different word. Silly me.

While you are at it, i hope to confirm with you something else. This guy in the same show was asking another person 「足腰くる?」I interpreted it as "do you sprained your lower back". Is it wrong? He was carrying a huge basket on his shoulder.

Thanks
by foru rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/16 08:03
Oh, OK, then I guessed completely wrong about the second one. While I don't know what the game was, I am assuming that (whatever it is) the more you can shake it and let something drop/fall is the winner. So the one who lost the game (?) is saying "That was a lot of mistakes! I/you shook it so much, so rather (than you), I should let it fall/I should have let it tall (and have won)!"

「足腰くる?」 is short for 足腰に 来る? and 足腰に来る means "(something) is burdensome on your legs and lower back," exactly like in the situation when you carry something heavy. "Does it get to your legs and back?"
by AK rate this post as useful

:D 2008/7/17 12:16
Thanks AK! At least i got the gist of it :)
by foru rate this post as useful

reply to this thread