Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

A great gift for japanese parents 2008/7/17 04:33
I plan on going to japan with my japanese girl friend some time next year. I have been trying to think of some good gift ideas for her parents. I dont want it to be a gift that they will just say that they like but throw it away when I leave... Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be a proper gift? I will take any suggestions at this point. Thank you
by Rolly  

ask the daughter 2008/7/17 11:12
My best suggestion is to ask your girlfriend, because she knows her parents best and she is the one who most wishes that you and her parents get along well.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Yes I did that already... 2008/7/18 07:20
I have asked her and we have both been trying to think of what would be a good gift to bring them... So both of us have been trying to brain storm and come up with some ideas. So if you can think of anything maybe something traditional would be grate. Beacuse I want to make a good impression on her parents because i plan on marrying this woman. We are open to any suggestions or help any one has. ANYTHING... so please help thankyou
by Rolly rate this post as useful

Where are you? 2008/7/18 07:21
If we knew where you are it might help. It would be nice to get something they can remember you with. Just follow your heart and don't be cheap.
by Vicky rate this post as useful

I am from California.. 2008/7/19 03:26
We are in California right now... I was thinking maybe some wine or something but they dont drink alot.I want it to be something that they like and want to use for a long time. I dont know if there is any like traditional gifts from japan that a boyfriend or fiancee would give to the parents. Like if I were Japanese and wanted to give my Japanese girlfriends parents a traditional gift what would be some suggestions then? Both me and my future wife are having some troubble figuring things out. So if anyone has any other suggestions it would be much appriciated.....
by Rolly rate this post as useful

Just a few ideas 2008/7/21 21:43
I know exactly how you feel. I had the same problem when this year I was visiting my Japanese boyfriends parents for the first time. It took me a long time to figure out what should I give them. At the end it wasn't one thing like I originally planned but a few items. I bought a colorful book with the photos of the place where I live, a small native art painting in a nice frame and a big box of premium quality chocolates. My boyfriends parents seemed pleased with all the gifts but I think they liked the painting the best.

Good luck with the meeting.
by Snowflake rate this post as useful

hmmm... 2008/7/22 13:17
Isn't it great to meet parents for the 1st time? :) Alot more difficult going to another ocuntry and doing it. I'm in the same boat with you, I live in Cali and everytime I go to Japan to Visit I have to think of gifts. Your GF would be your best advice on "yes or no." But I find that they enjoy gifts or things that are more difficult to get in Japan. I've do the wine thing with friends & family in Japan. (they always enjoy) But it might be easier to try and find something for your GF's father and something for her mother. (plus a bottle of wine). Does her father play golf? A dozen golf balls for her father maybe. A lot of golf stuff is expensive in Japan. good luck. (I feel your pain)
by daz88 rate this post as useful

send something you'd like to recieve 2008/7/22 13:43
Hi again. I've come to learn that it's best to send something that the sender prefers him/herself.

It may not always match the reciever's taste, but at least it's great to know that the sender sent something that truly believed was really nice or tasty or useful and not something (s)he just picked up from a recommendation by a shopkeeper who (s)he doesn't even know.

Colorful photo books and wines sound fine to me. Whiskey may be too much, but a bottle of wine can be consumed just by drinking a glass per person over a dinner of four, and the rest can be used for cooking (Just keep in mind that they may not open the bottle, since according to Japanese customs, it is not polite to open the gift in the presense of the sender).

While you're at it, why not choose a book with photos of your favorite places or a kind of wine that you usually like. Just by saying that you bought it at a reliable liquor store you often go to makes the reciever imagine the ways of your life. Parents always want to know what their children or children's friends are up to.

You can pick up some thoughtful phrases from your girlfriend like "o-konomi ni aimasu ka douka (I'm not sure if you'd like it)" or "kokoro bakari desuga (just a token of my heart)". That would make a good impression.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Godiva chocolates 2008/9/20 02:51
It would be absolutely appropriate to bring a gift to the Japanese family. I found that a nice large box of Godiva chocolates came very handy. Know that they will be giving you a gift back commesurate with about half of what they believe you spent. So be careful how elaborate your gift will be (or final decision is).

A word about wrapping. The Japanese take great pride in caring for the outside of the gift as well as the inside of the gift. Make sure to also have good wrapping paper or have professional wrapping done.
by Francesca rate this post as useful

reply to this thread