Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Schools other than Tokyo ones 2008/7/17 05:39
I'm thinking of going to somewhere to study Japanese intensively for a couple of months.

Unfortunately, I have a tendency to get very agitated if I live in a boring city. However, Tokyo seems to be too distracting for me as well.

Can anyone point to me a couple of options of language schools and guess house accomodation, if you've been there and done that?

At this stage I'm more inclined to go to Kyushu or Kyoto but perhaps there are other places that might suit me purposes?

Please let us know a bit about your experience then and help me make my decision! Thanks.
by Yowai  

huh! 2008/7/17 09:57
just curious, have you even been to tokyo before to make that kind of a decision? a lot of people think tokyo will be too busy, dirty, etc for them and then they get here and love it because it's the most convenient city on the planet, cheap to live if you want it to be, etc.

there are japanese language schools and universities in every major japanese city.

if you move to kyushu you will have to deal with the brutal heat in summertime. it's not as hot in tokyo though still quite hot.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Yes 2008/7/18 01:59
I`ve been and in fact stayed in Tokyo for a few months before. The numerous activities and the night life makes it too distracting to concentrate on studying, unfortunately!

I've also been to Kyushu numerous times but remember my criteria has to be, a place where I can study in peace yet won't throw up all over the place being stuck in a not-much-goes-on type of city. Hard to satisfy yeh? ^.~

So I was hoping to see if anyone had good experience with some Japanese language schools that aren't near Tokyo yet wouldn't bore me out of my life! Thanx...
by Yowai rate this post as useful

I have studied... 2008/7/19 00:03
..at Nihongo Center in Kyoto. www.nihongo-center.com.

Fantastic place, great for study, friendly and it's about a 3 minute walk from from on the the cooleset areas in Kyoto, Shijo-Kawaramachi. That's basically a huge intersection and one if the vital transportation points in that part of the city. At night, there's enough neon-lightage around to make any day-glo fantasy come true, plus it's got the Kamogawa river 10 minute walk away, the best Starbucks on Earth (right on the Kamogawa) about 15 minute walk away, and the Hankyu railway line a 3 minute walk away. Close to food, WAY close to the action and yet it enables you to also remove yourself from the hectic pace as well, but also being close to temples, shrines, etc...

Highly, highly, highly recommended. They can also recommend student lodging. If you would like, please respond to this and let me know if you want me to give you names/contact information.

Please go if you have the chance. Can't say enough good things about the experiences I've had there.

-C
by Kazamatsuri rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/7/19 02:27
That does sound like a bit of an ideal place.

I'm still not sure about going to Kyoto in a sense because it seems too tranquil but somehow perhaps its what I need. Afterall its not too far from Nagoya and Osaka or Kobe.

Do you mind telling me a bit more about the nihongocentre classes? Like how many students, the class times, or what kind of nationality of people go there?

I need to consider that purely because when I studied in Tokyo before, the classmates all spoke too much English as a group.

Thanks again for your help.

Sure thing 2008/7/19 04:53
You bet I can tell you about it. During the week, there are 2 sets of classes. Mornings and afternoons. Mornings (advanced classes) are from I think 9-12:30 and the afternoon classes (beginner/intermediate) are from 1:15 to 4:45 as I recall.

They are approved by the Ministry of Education and can provide a certificate of Eligibility. The turn around time was rather quick, once I had applied and paid tuition, gotten the COE and my visa...before I knew it, I was on a plane there.

Kyoto is definitely NOT just a tranquil little town with women in kimono and shamisen players on the streets. It's got the glitz and glamour of Tokyo coupled with having been the capital of Japan for 1000 years...ergo the tons of traditional site and festivals. The random gatherings/parades/festivals that broke out seemed to be weekly.

It is insanely close and convenient to Osaka and Kobe, both of which are an hour or so away, and it's -cheap- to take the trains there. For me, it was maybe 390 yen one way to Osaka. We'll say roughly $4 USD. Hell of a deal.

Back to the school.. It's a modern building, elevator and what not... Right next to a convenience store as well, and also vending machines close by (as per standard in Japan.) The buses and Hankyu railway are about a 3-5 minute walk away. Gion is maybe 10 minute walk away. Kiyomizudera is maybe 20-30 minute walk away.

A large number of the students in my classes were Chinese. The one drawback there, is more often than not, the Chinese have proven themselves to be completely inconsiderate of others in class. It wasn't so bad, but there were several notable occasions where teachers had to pull Chinese students aside and basically tell them to shut the hell up and quit speaking in Chinese in a Japanese language class. The Chinese, feeling superior, did not listen, and I believe there may have been a few threats made by the school to revoke visas for those students, or at least, not vouch for a visa renewal because of bad behavior.

That's really the only drawback about that place. Even with that, it was certainly bearable and doesn't at all tarnish my overall view of the school.

The teachers themselves are incredible. Each had a wonderful personality, and it was not unheard of for one of the teachers to be strolling by a starbucks after work and stop and have a coffee and a chat with their students. I, myself, have bumped into 2 of my teachers while they were walking around and was subsequently treated to beer and okonomiyaki at a local restaurant nearby. Japanese are good like that. :)

The head master, Kurita-sensei, stole the show. His teaching style is awesome. He made me feel good about going to class and every other student (that spoke English, anyway) agreed when we would talk about the school day that he is, by far, the best language teacher any of us have ever had. He really does care. There is a definitely business perspective to the school but there is also a lot of heart involved. He'll get you there. Believe in that.

As for housing, there is a students dormitory (it's not horrible, believe it or not) about a 10 minute train ride from the school in a section known as "Saiin." Saiin itself was pretty blah, but with the train station right close by it was easy to cart my happy arse back and forth. Of course, there were a ton of overly drunken nights where I just didn't want to take a cab back, and since the trains were done, I'd just walk the hour home. heh. Those were the times.

So. Yeah. In a nutshell. Kyoto is great, the school is in a -prima- location, the cost is definitely comparable to other schools, most of the other students are Chinese (or Swedish, that was the other large grou), it's close to shopping, food, lodging can be arranged in advance, Osaka and Kobe are a stones through away (plus lake Biwa and Nara!!) and you can always escape to other cities via Shinkansen if you get too sick of the Kyoto humidity...and yes, it's as bad as they say. Drink a ton of water - you'll be fine.

If you become more serious, I'll give you some info of killer places you can go, as well as more detailed info about who you can contact about lodging, etc.

Hope this helps!!

-C

keep the info coming 2008/7/20 04:01
That is so awesome. I'm going to go to a language school after high school and I was looking at Nihongo Center as one of them but after what you have been saying I think that's the one I'm going to. And I wanted to go to one in Kyoto too.

Also do you learn Japanese quickly? Were you there for a college preperation course? Do they have that?
Thanks!
by DiTomasso rate this post as useful

Why yes, 2008/7/21 20:47
they do have College Prep classes. I was there for the full-time intensive course. It is intense. Your brain wil fry. It is awesome. There is beer and food and all kinds of action nearby to alleviate the distress.

Go. Have fun!

Thanks 2008/7/21 22:46
Really appreciate the help and feedback.

I'm applying for a Working Holiday Visa but within this time I'm still working hard to save money.

Please keep a watch on this thread as in a few weeks when I finish work, I might have more questions about various things. Really appreciate the help as it eliminates guess work!

cool 2008/7/25 12:37
Quick question. What was your purpose for going to Nihongo Center? Did you go to get into a Japanese college as an undergraduate? You basically lived part of my dream so more info on it will be appreciated.

math science etc. 2008/8/1 16:13
I was just wondering if they had prep classes for math and science as well for the Japanese university exams

cost 2008/8/22 16:37
how much does a intensive course cost?how much will I need to spend living there,studying there(including all expenses)?Knowing that,then I'll be able to know the budget required.Thanks.
by alantaylor rate this post as useful

tuition 2008/8/23 03:14
I don't know how much it'll cost you for living stuff but the intensive course will cost you 357,000 yen thats including the Visa application fee, Registration fee, Tuition and, Material fee. There are other forums you can look at that will tell you how much you should bring to japan also if you want more info on nihongo center go to there website http://www.nihongo-center.com/en/index.html
by flo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread