Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Electrical service options in Japan? 2008/7/17 09:46
In USA, the electrical service for individual circuits depends on the anticipated load. For example, a 120V - 15A circuit uses a particular size of wire that can allow 12A continuous draw safely. There also is a 120V - 20A service that uses a bigger wire to allow 16A continuous without overheating the wire. There is even a 120V - 30A service in some residential homes. Does Japan have different circuit options like this for a 100V source? Thank you !
by daveski  

. 2008/7/17 12:22
Are you talking about electric capacity contract against electric power industry?

Yes, there are some options in Japan too. 100V 30A is the most typical.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Electrical circuit ratings? 2008/7/18 01:56
Response to: meringue4

I'm asking about AC current ratings (capacity) for residential and industrial electric circuits. If I could look at an electrical circuit panel box for an office building in Japan, I would maybe see circuit breaker components of various ratings (capacity), maybe like 10A, 20A, 30A, etc. So what would I see in Japan? Thank you.
by daveski rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/18 20:31
Many apartments usually provide 30A per room.
http://www.rainsplash.net/blog/life/breaker.jpg
You can raise it if you need more.

Office buildings should provide much more depending on their size.

by meringue4 rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/19 16:33
The apartment we used to live in in Tokyo (small family size) had 50A, which was quite high, and the one we live in now (regular family size) has 40A. 30A seems to be typical, or minimum, considering all the electrical appliances people might use at home - air conditioning units, big refrigerator, microwave oven, etc.
by ... rate this post as useful

Thanks much for your help !! 2008/7/22 04:06
Thanks much for your help !!
by daveski rate this post as useful

many options 2008/8/1 10:18
There are many options in Japan for your household power connection and for the wiring within the house. All houses get a 100V circuit. The first choice is whether or not you need 200V by adding another 100V circuit 180 degrees out of phase. Then one must decide the total power consumption and the main breakers will be determined by this. I`ve seen mostly 30Amp with the 200V option and 75Amp with the 100V only connections.

Inside the house/apartment you get many sizes of breakers for the individual circuits with some places having all 20Amp.

There are many `all electric` houses these days (still a minority though) which have larger breakers. And I`ve heard that some homes are even going with commercial wiring (3 phase) in order to increase capacity for electronics.

BTW: In Japan it seems that anything over 3kWatts is considered commercial and is not allowed in normal homes.
by Alton Harkcom rate this post as useful

reply to this thread