Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Vacuum Packing Clothes 2008/7/17 10:03
I've a quick question. I'm getting ready to leave for Tokyo and I only want to take a small duffel, so I don't have to check a bag in (only take carry on).

Would customs have an issue if I individually vacuum pack my clothes to conserve space?

In case someone doesn't know what it is - by vacuum pack, I mean rolling a shirt up (or shorts, socks, whatever) and placing them in a plastic bag, using a machine to suck the air out, and then melting the plastic to seal the bag.

I know they don't have an issue on the US side, just not sure about the JP side.

Thanks!
by Blair  

Vacuum packing 2008/7/17 12:02
They sell space saver bags that you don't need a machine to suck out the air and can be reused in case you are asked to open the bags.
by cms rate this post as useful

Absolutely not 2008/7/17 12:38
Absolutely not. Of course, they may ask you to open the bag if you look suspicious but probably not.
by Dan rate this post as useful

what if they want to search the bag? 2008/7/17 15:12
The vacuum packing itself won't be an issue, but it is quite common for Customs to ask you to open your luggage when you arrive in Japan and in some cases they want to have a really good look through it- will you be able to re-vacuum pack everything if you are asked to show the contents of your bag?
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/17 16:42
Just curious to know what you will do with the clothes once you have worn them and they are no longer compressed?
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

clothes 2008/7/17 17:13
A friend of mine- conservative lady in her 50s, moneyed but frugal- is planning a 5 weeks trip. She will only carry a 26" suitcase w /wheels. She wash and dry undies, shirts etc. in a hotel, use a washing machine in some hotels or a street laundromat for other clothes and is willing to buy just a few basic clothes if needed (like if something gets a big tear or stain) Don't take too much stuff!! most people always take way too much.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/18 06:27
Not just a Customs issue, but what if TSA on the USA side (or security in general) decides that something funny looks on the x-ray and asks to open the bag, opens the bag, how are they going to reseal it, I doubt they would go through the trouble of finding a vacuum with a hose to do so. Knowing US Security I'm not sure how you can be positive they won't check your bag. Its not just going but coming back as well, US customs, more security on both sides of the Pacific.
Also what about resealing your packages, hotel rooms normally don't come with vacuums, housekeeping may or may not be able to assist, but then you run into the problems listed above.
by John rate this post as useful

packing 2008/7/18 06:31
I use a couple of small bags like that in my carry on suitcase. You can just push the air out as you roll them up. One thing is that if you use a number of those, the suitcase does get quite heavy. Also clothes wrinkle pretty badly in them....
by Mara rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/18 08:01
Thanks for the answers.

I've gone through US security several times with vacuumed clothes, they've never cared.

When in Japan, I'll just unpack the clothes. The bag will be packed very tight at that time, however - I just want the bag to be small as possible while on the plane so they allow it as a carry on.

The clothes are cheap plain cotton shirts and shorts (3 pack for $10), they were bought specifically to be discarded at the end of my trip so I don't have to haul them back - so US customs isn't an issue.

I guess I was just wondering that if, should customs in Japan hand search the bag, whether or not vacuumed packed clothes would be an issue.

Thanks for the answers, I appreciate them.
by blair rate this post as useful

reply to this thread