Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Meanings behind this? 2008/7/21 07:35
「いい風吹いてます」 is this phrase a Japanese idiom? Literally it means "A nice wind is blowing", isn't it? But is there any other meanings behind this? Like for example if something good happened, can you use this phrase?

Cheers :)
by foru  

... 2008/7/21 09:38
It's not really an idiom - I *could* imagine someone using it in the sense of something like "the wind is on my side," = "something good is happening to me," but more often than not, it will be used in its literal sense. Any context you could share with us?
by AK rate this post as useful

ummm 2008/7/21 21:40
Well this A guy won this game or manage to defeat the opponent, so B said 「いい風吹いてます」. So may be it could be like "Nice blow" or something although of course in physical context, the B guy didn't blow anything as in balloon or anything...
by foru rate this post as useful

Just a few guesses then 2008/7/21 22:04
Then in that context (A won, and B said it, right?),

- if B was the opponent who got beaten, B might have meant "Ohhh, there is good tailwind for A," meaning "A didn't really win it with his own capabilities, but it's only luck that's helping him."

- if B was among the spectators, B might have meant "Things are going well for A!" (without implying anything else; just an observation).

2nd answer 2008/7/25 18:41
In this context, A is the spectator but is in the same thing as B. So i guess "Things are going well for A/our team" is definitely the more appropriate meaning. Thanks :D

I have a question about weight. If a person weighs 「50kg台」, does this mean she really weighs 50kg or around the 50kg range? And i don't understand why they put 台 at the end because the dictionary said it's a counter for vehicle or something. I checked online dictionary, Kodansha Kanji Dictionary and Oxford Starter Japanese Dictionary.. So what's the function of 台 at the end?

Cheers.

. 2008/7/25 22:16
50kg台 means more than 50kg and less than 60kg.
This usage of 台 is very common - for weight, length, time, etc.

Note that 代 is used to indicate years. For example 70年代 means 1970's.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

thanks 2008/7/25 23:25
Is it common to if say our weight is 45kg台 or is it only just for rounded numbers? 40,50,60... So this is used to evade from giving your exact weight then? lol.

How about 1870? Would it be 1870年代?

. 2008/7/26 03:38
Is it common to if say our weight is 45kg台 or is it only just for rounded numbers? 40,50,60...

If your weight is 45.x kg you can say 45kg台.

So this is used to evade from giving your exact weight then? lol.

Absolutely. If you weigh 54.9kg, say 50kg台 前半(first half).

Beware of price; if someone says 4万円台 it's 49,800 yen in most cases.

How about 1870? Would it be 1870年代?

Yes. Of course you can use 1970年代 for 1970's.

2000年代 can mean 2000 to 2009, 2000 to 2099 or 2000 to 2999 depending on the context. The first one is the most likely in our daily life.

代 is also used for ages; 20代 for your twenties, 30代 for thirties.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

thanks as always 2008/7/26 06:02
Thanks for the heads up regarding the price. I'll keep that in mind and i even jotted down what i've learned from here :)

Now the more i read something, the more questions i have to ask. This time it's about conjunctions.

For example なので, i'd simply take that as "So/Thus"...my understanding on ということで is just "that being said". There's more like そんで. Is it a colloquial for そので? I'm an OCD so it really bothers me when i don't know the exact meaning for this conjunctions...

There's also a sentence that i couldn't make up what's the meaning at all.. 「弁護士役ね、
やらしてもらってるんですけどもね」.. I think i don't understand the part 「やらしてもらって」That is not just a verb + verb joined by て isn't it?

Cheers!

... 2008/7/26 10:26
- そんで is colloquial for それで.

- 「弁護士役ね、やらしてもらってるんですけどもね」 re-written into more "textbook Japanese" would be: 「弁護士役を やらせて もらって いるんですけれどね。」 which further is: 「弁護士役を させて もらって いるんですけれどね。」 やらしてもらってる is collquial/short for やらせてもらっている, which goes back to させてもらっている

This contains three elements: (1) the verb "yaru," (2) use of "(te-form) + seru" for "making/allowing (someone to do something)," and (3) the use of "(te-form) + morau."

やる is another verb for "to do," する。This is combined into the "...seru" construction into させる. させる is to "make someone do something" or "allow someone to do something." させてもらう is to "be (kindly by someone) allowed to do something."

To write this with やる, it would be やらせる (to allow/make someone do something), やらせてもらう (to be kindly allowed to do something).

So the sentence means "I'm being (kindly) allowed to do/play the role of the lawyer/attorney." = "I've been given the role of the lawyer (which I appreciate."

reply to this thread