Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

No degree-- but are there jobs? 2008/7/21 12:47
I am going to get married to a Japanese national this September/October, and while I don't have a college degree, I am very literate and my Japanese is getting much better, though I'm not sure how I would do concerning any testing of that.

Anyway, my fiancee says he spoke to one of his friends, who is from Minnesota and lives there as an English teacher, and he said that as long as I was married and living there, it would be very easy to find a job teaching English without any certification.

Can anybody give me any tips or validation to this theory?

I just want to feel a little better about going there-- I don't want to think that it's just my fiancee trying to make me feel better about going without having a job lined up right away.

Thank you for any help or tips!!!

by Deanna  

. 2008/7/21 20:42
Usually companies want to see you have the right visa to work in Japan. Spouse Visa holders are pretty much free to work wherever they want.

Companies usually require someone to have a degree because they usually don't have a visa yet in Japan, and to **usually** sponsor a visa (The easy way) is to have a degree. But in your case a spouse visa should free you up.

Note I said *usually because technically you can get one without a degree but again, its the long way around with tons of more paperwork.

Now of course, having a degree does help if you wanted to advance in the workplace, and some companies regardless of visa status want a degree.

But if you mean your standard English school, then a spouse visa and being a native english speaker should be ok for a job.
by John rate this post as useful

visa 2008/7/22 02:08
if you have a visa that entitles you to work you can teach english (as long as you're a native english speaker). end of story. if you can't find a job here as a native english speaker then you're doing something seriously wrong, there are jobs everywhere especially in tokyo and osaka.

don't bother with anything other than english if you don't have a degree, the pay will be crap.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread