Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What do Japanese call snacks? 2008/7/21 23:22
I was wondering what Japanese call snacks, or if they have anything like them. I know in America alot of places have vending machines, and when I was watching the Robotech version of Macross there was a Soda-pop vending machine, and so I was wondering if there is many of them in Japan also.

I know in the US most vending machines have: Soda Pop, Candy, Chips, and maybe even breakfast/lunch material than can be toasted or microwaved.

Do the Japanese have anything like this, like in places that heed to Foreigners(Airports, etc)?
by Brian  

Vending machines 2008/7/22 08:36
Brian,

Vending machines in Japan? Are you kidding?? (see below if you are serious)

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2010.html

Food for eating on the go is more usually bought at convenience stores, which are everywhere.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

I guess I should of researched... 2008/7/22 10:12
I guess I should of researched it a bit more. That's alot of Vending machines.
by Brian rate this post as useful

??? 2008/7/22 10:15
Of course there are snacks in Japan- hundreds of varieties of chips (even Doritos and Pringles), peanuts, popcorn, candy, and more Japanese snacks like rice balls, dried fish and pickled plums.

As above, Japan has more vending machines per head of population than any other country in the world, by a long shot. When I walk the 5 minutes from my apartment in Tokyo to the nearest station I pass at least 12 drink vending machines- there is about one every 100 feet, sometimes there are several grouped together.

There are snack vending machines around, they are not rare, but as Dave said, normally you would just duck into a convenience store (which are everywhere), or buy them from a train station kiosk.

by Sira rate this post as useful

oyatsu 2008/7/22 13:30
Snacks are called either "sunakku (snack)" or "oyatsu".

The reason for the vending machine industry in Japan being huge is said to be because Japan has less criminals who'd break machines to steal coins. This is true to a certain extent when compared to certain regions of the world.

Nowadays vending machines are starting to be a problem, because people are starting to realise that it allows minors to purchase cigarettes and alcohol easily. Surely some might say that stores don't check your ID either, but at least if you're obviously a low teen they wouldn't sell any, or at least the low teen would be hesitant to buy one over the counter.

On the other hand, recent debates say that convenience stores mostly open 24/7 should close earlier so that we could save the Earth's energy and so that the society can get back to the normal life of sleeping at night and working during the day. If this happens, vending machines will be in need, I suppose.
by Uco rate this post as useful

some but rare 2008/7/22 15:09
Hi,

We call snacks "okashi".
It's true that we also call them "oyatsu" as Uco said, but it means the food you eat between meals, so I sometimes eat "ramen" noodles as "oyatsu".

As for where to get,
we do have snack vending machines, but they are only on the corridors of some hotels or in some express trains.
We usually buy them at convenience stores.

So, you can buy some in Akihabara, Tokyo.
You can get canned "Oden", "Ramen", spaghetti there (LOL
by a japanese rate this post as useful

Japanese Snacks 2008/7/23 22:28
I love to get packages from Okaasan because she loads it up with Japanese snacks!
While there are a lot of snacks familiar to westerners, I love the truely Japanese ones, like dried fish of every variety, dried squid, shrimp crackers, o-mochi, rice crackers, wasabi peas, etc.. They also make some fantastic sweet potato chips.
No better way to experience another culture than to eat your way through it!
by cf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread