Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Cell phone options 2008/7/22 07:24
Hello,

I will be traveling to Tokyo in the next month to study there at ICU for an academic year. I have been trying pretty hard to find a good way to get a cellphone while I am there, but have had trouble finding suitable solutions.

Renting a phone seems the worst idea, as it seems to be pretty expensive. Ideally, I would like to get a plan with a company here in the States to use while I am in Japan so that the bill can be taken care of by my parents. Does anyone know what cell phone companies, if any, offer this kind of service? Also, would it just be wiser for me to get one in Japan? I hold dual-citizenship, so it would be an option.

Thanks for any help on this issue!
by Ryan Hiroshi  

Prepaid 2008/7/22 12:23
There are a lot of similar questions to this that you could search for.....

However, you can just get a Prepaid phone. I'm sure it would be WAY cheaper than having a plan in your home country, and paying global roaming fees.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/23 00:07
Just sign up for a regular cellphone plan in Japan with any of the big companies, eg Softbank, NTT, AU etc. You can probably get a student discount plan with Softbank and AU (50% off).

Have your parents send you the money to Japan each month and pay the bill yourself.

by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread