Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

rice cooker 2008/7/22 12:03
I have this rice cooker.
I've read the instructions about the water to rice ratio, but everytime the rice comes out chewy. Kind of like Chinese take out rice.
How do I change this?
by Kat  

could be lots of things 2008/7/22 13:00
it could be the rice you're using. try a different rice. (it does make a difference) are you "washing" the rice? I never use to, but my GF always yells at me if I don't. She "washes" the rice 3 times before cooking. Try adjusting the amount of water. Are cookers are a little different. Usually what works for me is after washing the rice place your hand on top of the rice and fill with water until the level is just barely above my hand. good luck.
by daz88 rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/7/22 21:23
I'll try that!
Thanks alot
by Kat rate this post as useful

Rice 2008/7/23 22:23
Did it come with a measuring cup for the rice? Our has a measuring cup. The pot also has lines on it marked 1-6.
You put in 1-6 cups of washed rice and then put water up to the line corresponding to how many cups you put in.
Make sure to wash you rice well. My J-wife was amazed I didnt know how to wash rice when I first cooked rice at her house. LIke that is something an American guy would know! Anyway, wash it until it the water is almost clear, 3-6 times depending on the rice.
Also, buy good Japanese or Korean varieties of rice. Rice has gone up, we're paying $20.00/15lb bag where we payed only $13.00 last a year ago.
by cf rate this post as useful

Try something different 2008/7/23 22:38
Even if you have read the instructions you may still need to try adding a bit more water to find what is best for the particular rice you are using. You could also try soaking it for an hour or so before hitting the cook button.
by Sira rate this post as useful

hmmmm 2008/7/27 08:02
I wonder if you meant the rice is not like "fluffy" western style?
The rice from your rice cooker should stick together a bit. It should be like good quality asian restaurant style.
Western rice falls apart when you try to use the chopsticks. Good japanese style rice holds together. If you want the fluffy kind, then you must use long grain style and not the short grain sticky rice.
I have many western friends who prefer the fluffy kind (which I think is too dry and falls apart when I try to eat it). I prefer the sticky rice.
by Umi rate this post as useful

Which is fluffy? 2008/7/27 09:10
It's funny, I always thought of Japanese rice as the "fluffy" one, and Western-style rice as dry, so not particularly fluffy. I just googled it though, and people are divided about evenly on whether it is Japanese rice or Western rice that is the fluffy one!

Once you have stirred Japanese rice after cooking, I think it comes out pretty fluffy...

I guess it depends on your definition of "fluffy"!
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread