Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

British Pound exchange at Narita 2008/7/24 18:13
I've looked around the forum but not found one that specifically refers to GBP exchange.

1) Is the rate good for the British pound at the Narita airport??

2) Should I go to the post office or the exchange counters?

3) Are there other "third party" exchange counters that don't offer the same rate as the "official" Narita exchange counters and how to tell these counters apart??

Thanks so much!!
by DY  

Currency Exchange 2008/8/3 13:58
It's best for you to change some money while in the UK--just enough to cover airport incidentals. It's also best for you to exchange the money at one of the currency counters in Narita. They are very friendly and speak English but they run your money through a money reading machine and sometimes cannot read certain bills. As a result, they were only able to exchange 80% of the money I brought with me. I wouldn't trust any 3rd parties. Currently the exchange rate is 1.00 GBP = 212.571 JPY Hope this helps!
by Pink rate this post as useful

in UK 2008/8/3 15:26
You are better off exchanging in the UK. The only currency that is better to exchange in Japan is USD.

For example, if the exchange rate is nominally 1GBP = 212JPY, then you may get around 204JPY in the UK. At Narita you might get 196JPY, or at a Japanese bank, you might get 185JPY.
by Sandy rate this post as useful

ATM 2008/8/3 18:44
You'll get a better exchange rate at a ATM (and also pay less fee if you have a bank which is also active in Japan). The ATM's in Japan differ a little from the ones in Europe (like choose a language and some of the ATM's can speak).
by Bert rate this post as useful

UK or Japanese bank 2008/8/3 22:45
I've just returned from Japan to the uk and we changed some money in the uk, transfered some money from our UK bank to our Japanese bank and also took some GB pounds and there was very little difference. All I can say is that the worst places in most countries to exchange money is an airport or a tourist area exchange kiosk.

Reading an above reply I'd be interested to know if any uk bank ATM cards work in Japan. We bank with LTSB and they dont work.
by Ade rate this post as useful

ATMS 2008/8/4 01:13
At Post Office ATMs along with 7-11 Convenience Stores foreign bank cards can be used. 7-11 should be 24 hours.

Sakana

by Sakana rate this post as useful

exchange 2008/8/4 01:15
Does your debit card has either the Cirrus, Plus or Maestro logos? those work in Japan. 7-11 convenience stores have ATM that accept international debit cards (from your own bank, accessing your personal account).Some credit cards do work in ATM but then they give you a generic cash advance, not a debit from your own bank account, so you end up paying a steep interest rate until you pay them back.
by Auntie Bert rate this post as useful

Visa debit card 2008/8/4 01:54
My card has visa debit written on it but I may ask some other banks here if they have a suitable card

thanks
by Ade rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/4 02:43
As already stated, you'll get a better rate changing GBP to Yen in the UK. Marks and Spencer have good rates (better than the UK Post Office and also no commission). If you are in London, you can get very good rates in the West End. One of the best is on The Strand, next to the Stanley Gibbons stamp shop. Should be about 209-210 Yen today (again no commission).
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

Marks and Spencer 2008/8/4 04:06
Marks and Spencer is indeed the place to exchange your money.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

reply to this thread