Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Simplest language question 2008/7/26 09:36
Would you say....

味噌汁を食べる?
  Or
味噌汁を飲む?

Or are they both OK?
by magpie1862  

misoshiru 2008/7/26 15:52
味噌汁を飲む

is correct.
by mackey rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/26 16:15
There seem to be divided opinions about it - there are even forum threads in Japanese discussing which one is correct - I vote for "nomu" in general.

When talking about "misoshiru" with specific ingredient (like clams, onions, etc.) and you are more talking about that ingredient, people seem to use "taberu" more.

BTW, I googled the two phrases in Japanese, and "nomu" led to 154,000 hits, while "taberu" led to 677,000 hits.

This seems to be partly due to the fact that some shops are advertising "taberu misoshiru," meaning misoshiru with a lot of vegetables (not just
soup but a full "okazu" dish). Also, some regions seem to regard it as full dish, not just soup. Also the use of "taberu" when referring to "misoshiru" with specific ingredients seems to increase the hits as well.
by AK (Japanese from Tokyo) rate this post as useful

Opinions definitely vary 2008/7/26 16:27
My husband insists that it's taberu.

You could have the same argument over whether you eat or drink soup in English.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/26 16:37
When I learned Japanese, in relation to miso soup, it is nomimasu/nomu (飲) (or whatever form you wish to use) but "to drink". Seems to be the standard found in Japanese language learning books. Now what it is actually in real life or what people think is debatable.
by John rate this post as useful

eat or drink soup 2008/7/27 07:39
Hello. . A well asked question. .You eat soup. But, drink broth. Soup is served in a bowl.. not a beverage glass.. .http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=443388
by Scotty9 rate this post as useful

that could be a philosophical question 2008/7/27 10:54
"My husband insists that it's taberu.

You could have the same argument over whether you eat or drink soup in English."

If you are strictly speaking about the mechanics you drink the broth and eat the solid ingredients :)
by BWinc rate this post as useful

reply to this thread