Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sake Bottles at Shrines 2008/7/26 11:23
Often, when I visit a shrine or statues, there are empty Sake bottles laid at their feet as offerings (I'm assuming). I was wondering if this was considered rude or not. One of my friends told me that this was like leaving empty beer cans in a church. I disagreed, but wanted to find out for sure. Thank you.
by Sam  

... 2008/7/26 15:14
I have never seen it.

Offerings to Shinto deities are usually real food and full bottles rather than empty bottles.
by Uji rate this post as useful

osonaemono 2008/7/26 15:21
Was it empty? If it's sake bottle then it was meant to be osonae offering but it should be a full bottle. Maybe someone had a sip :)
by bobo rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/26 16:58
I agree with Sam's friend. Why would god want a bottle. There must be someone in the neighborhood who is too stuborn to return it to the liquor shop or cannot wake up before bottle waste collecting hours.
by Uco rate this post as useful

not the norm 2008/7/26 20:28
I've only seen full, unopened bottles. If there were empty ones you may find the local alcoholic is responsible...
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread