Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Proper dress? 2008/7/27 03:50
I will soon be visiting Japan for about two weeks with a group from local schools. The advisor told us girls that we cannot wear anything that doesn't cover our arms and that we can't wear open-toe shoes. As she is an elderly woman, for whom such a rule would be understandable, I am wondering if there is really such an unspoken dress code there for girls in their teens/twenties and if tourists are expected to emulate that. Thanks for any feedback.
by Jess  

advice 2008/7/27 07:38
If your adviser is going with you on your trip to Japan, you will have to do what she says.
by Jonny rate this post as useful

No such rule for guests 2008/7/27 08:19
Japanese schools have their own uniform, which are mostly long sleeved without open toed shoes, but that regulation doesn't apply to anyone else. I've seen many people/kids in jeans and t-shirt with sandals.
by Natsuki rate this post as useful

No. 2008/7/27 08:21
There is no such dress code. the only thing I can think of is that you will be here at the hottest part of summer and you do see some people (mainly middle aged women) with long gloves covering their whole arms and super wide brimmed sun visors. There isn't an O-zone problem like down in New Zealand but if you have white skin you will get burnt if you stay out for too long.
I can't think of any other reason why they would say there was a dress code unless it was a particular religion you belonged too.
by EQuinn rate this post as useful

Dress code 2008/7/27 09:50
Jess,

Summer school uniforms are usually short-sleeved, and as other have already indicated, open-toed sandals are the norm for girls and young women in summer. It sounds like your advisor has never been to Japan, or is confusing it with a muslim country that has stricter dress regulations.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

You 2008/7/27 10:09
right, girls even paint toenails.
by Module rate this post as useful

sleaves is probably what she meant 2008/7/27 12:31
I think what the women says is that you shouldn't wear "no-sleaves". I see no problem with "short sleaves", however, it is indeed better for girls to wear sleaves (typically short) and closed toes if they're visiting a school. It will make you look proper. Strict private schools do require that sort of dress code.

On the other hand, girls, even of the most strict schools are usually free to wear no sleaves and toe-less sandals in their off-school time.

Another thing however is to be aware of insects if you're going to the countryside. long sleaves and trousers will protect you from some really nasty bugs you'd never see in the cities.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Many thanks 2008/7/28 00:07
Thanks to all for their comments. I thought it sounded odd when we were told that Japanese disapprove of women showing their toes or shoulders, especially since this is the summertime and Japan is not that conservative of a country. (FYI, we will be splitting our trip between countryside and the city. Obviously I would dress appropriately for the country, what with the insects as someone mentioned. I was mostly concerned about city wear.) I'll have to bring it up with our advisor again when I get the chance.
by Jess rate this post as useful

by the way 2008/7/28 02:08
Btw, I don't think it's that odd, since European Cathederals often forbid showing shoulders and toes. Anyway, double-checking is the best thing to do.

Only cathedrals 2008/7/28 08:13
But Uco, that's *only* cathedrals/ churches. It would be odd if someone told you you had to cover your shoulders and toes just to hang out in a European city- woman in some parts of Europe get around in quite skimpy clothing.
by Sira rate this post as useful

visiting Cathedrals and visiting schools 2008/7/28 10:18
Well, as I mentioned in the first post, I thought it wouldn't be odd for the limited occasions of visiting schools and representing a school group. Anyway, high school girls in Japan are often required that sort of dress code when going to school trips.

... 2008/7/28 10:52
- If it's official school trip/exchange program, with you girls visiting school *classes* in Japan, (and if your school does not have uniforms that you can simply take with you) then I understand that you should have something "official-looking," maybe a blouse with short-sleeves (meaning not totally bare shoulders), "smart casual" pants/skirt, and maybe somewhat proper shoes, meaning no flip-flops, not too casual sandals (but some open-toed shoes are fine!).

- But if it's more a tourist sightseeing thing (since you said it was a group from your school, that's where the "conservative" consideratio, comes in, I suppose), then I would wear what you normally wear at school in your own country.
by AK (Japanese woman) rate this post as useful

When in Rome... 2008/7/28 13:05
"Anyway, high school girls in Japan are often required that sort of dress code when going to school trips."

Then it's a fair enough requirement.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread