Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

sabu, ibo, tako? 2008/7/28 02:59
Here is the problem:
さぶイボ立ったぞ今.
イボでもタコだも立ててりゃい!
what is sabu, ibo, tako?
by ren  

... 2008/7/28 10:26
"sabu-ibo" is the goosebumps you get when you feel really scared or awed (by something horrendous, by a joke that was of such a bad taste, something awesome and impressive, etc.). It comes from "sabui," a variant of "samui," an adjective meaning "cold" or "chill," and "ibo" is the bumps you get on your skin.

So the first line says "I just got goosebumps now!"

The second line is in a way just a word play... "tako" means "octopus," and this word is just here used playfully to say "Oh I don't care you get bumps or octopus, go ahead!"
by AK rate this post as useful

question 2008/7/28 13:29
So not the "tako" meaning "callus", AK? I first assumed it was that kind of tako because of the similarity to ibo (as in wart).
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/7/28 16:57
Sira,

Yes, that may well be the case! Both "ibo" and "tako" are things you get on your skin, that's true... the only thing that came to my mind was that whoever said it must have just thrown in the humorous-sounding word for the sound :) but in terms of meaning, yes, your take makes more sense.
by AK rate this post as useful

! 2008/7/29 19:28
thanks! No wonder I couldn't get it...
by ren rate this post as useful

reply to this thread