Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

'Traditional' deep-fried sweet? 2008/7/30 16:30
When I was in Tokyo, I visited a Buddhist Shrine.

Near the Shrine they were selling these great smelling deep-fried cake like things. I think the man said it was made with some sort of bean, and he also mentioned it was traditional.

It also came with varied fillings such as green tea and pumpkin! (I had the pumpkin filled, it was amazing!)

I've looked up on the internet to find out what it was, but the closest thing i found to it was azuki filled cakes, which aren't deep-fried!

Please help me out! It's been bugging me for about 6 months!
by Kate  

Agemanju 2008/7/30 17:53
It sounds like Agemanju, which is a deep fried mochi, stuffed with Azuki bean paste. I remember them selling them in the stalls outside the Asakusa temple when I was there a few years ago.
Mochi can be either deep fried, steamed or grilled, and are almost always stuffed with Azuki paste (like most japanese deserts), so those Azuki filled cakes you found are probably a steamed version of Agemanju.
by Andy rate this post as useful

Asakusa agemanju 2008/7/30 21:42
Was it Sensoji Temple in Asakusa, by any chance? A long pedestrian shopping street leading up to the temple with lots of shops selling souvenirs as well as shops selling sweets?

I agree with the above- it was agemanju. I was at Sensoji last month and had a pumpkin one too- good!

by Sira rate this post as useful

Re:Traditional' deep-fried sweet? 2008/7/31 00:16
浅草 揚げ體ェ
Asakusa Agemaju
http://www.agemanju.co.jp/products/index.htm
by xexstyle rate this post as useful

Thank you so much! 2008/7/31 06:21
Such quick answers!

Does anyone know of a good recipe for them?
I really want to make them now!
Or attempt to atleast! :)
by Kate rate this post as useful

& 2008/7/31 06:23
yes it was in asakusa!
:D

by Kate rate this post as useful

Mochi recipe 2008/8/2 02:05
I haven't seen any recipes for Agemanju anywhere, but you could make it by adding the flavourings for Agemanju to a basic mochi recipe, and frying them for 3-5 minutes.

Theres a simple recipe for mochi at http://www.recipezaar.com/126014. I've heard that the Anko paste (Azuki filling) can be bought ready made, but if you can't find it, it can be made from pureed and sweetened Azuki beans.
by Andy rate this post as useful

reply to this thread