Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takaragawa solo visit? 2008/7/31 00:27
I was really looking forward to visiting this onsen on my travels but was disappointed to find that it does not allow single guests to stay.

Is it still possible to visit from minakami to use the baths without staying overnight? I know at most onsen this is possible, but I want to be absolutely sure to avoid further disappointment when I arrive.
by Mark  

Try Osenkaku Ryokan 2008/7/31 19:52
I do not think there is a problem for a single person to stay in Osenkaku Ryokan, Minakami. Maybe you can try to book via following website:
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/db/gunma/osenkaku.htm
Grtz, Filip
by Filip rate this post as useful

That's the problem 2008/7/31 20:26
That's the exact website I was on. Towards the bottom of the page it states "Single Guests: No". Also, all rate say based on double occupancy. There is also this post with a similair problem of staying.
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+49969

Edit: Ah, I just found this post:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+30863+...
Which answers my question. Odd, I did try searching beforehand.
by Mark rate this post as useful

Maybe you're right 2008/7/31 21:16
I don't know, hadn't seen the message "singles no", maybe you're right. Yesterday I requested a booking reservation for myself at Osenkaku Ryokan via japaneseguesthouses.com, and they did not say anything about single travellers not being allowed. They made me an offer for 2 nights (23400yen). I accepted, but am still waiting for definitive confirmation since then. So maybe now they are having second thoughts? I'll give them one more day before sending them a new mail.
In a Ryokan you pay per person, not per room. So the more people they can stack, the more they earn. That's why they rather not see singles showing up.
Grtz, Filip

Let me know 2008/7/31 23:01
Maybe they are more flexible at quieter periods. I was planning on staying for the 31st August, perhaps still technically in their holiday period although it is a Sunday.

Let me know if the booking goes through and I'll try the same.

Thank you for the info.
by Mark rate this post as useful

Single stay at Osenkaku 2008/8/2 03:15
I received a mail back from www.japaneseguesthouses.com. They made some phone calls, and Osenkaku agreed to take me as a single occupant. However against a fairly higher priced than was mentioned before (19,000 yen instead of 11,700), and not on the dates I originally asked (they were suddenly fully booked, where only two days earlier there were still rooms available - and I am trying to book in October here). So it is possible, but I can't help feeling a little bit cheated :-( (as I said before, general rule in a ryokan is that you pay by person and not by room).

Grtz,
Filip

reply to this thread