Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Vending machines on Fuji? 2008/7/31 14:17
I:`m climbing mt fuji this weekend, and was wondering if there are vending machines accessible outside the huts along the way up. I realize they may be expensive, but I`d rather buy my drinks on the way up than carry enough for the enitre trip from the start.

Also, what about food

note I`m climbing up overnight
by Michael in Hiroshima  

drinks/ food 2008/7/31 17:53
I don't recall seeing any vending machines on the way up (I've climbed twice), but there are two at the top, which were charging 4 times the price for a can of drink as you would normally pay. There is also a hut on the top selling drinks and noodles, at a premium as you would imagine. It's likely that the huts on the way up also sell drinks.

I managed to carry two one litre bottles of drink up the mountain, plus some snacks, and I was not particularly strong or fit. I also bought hot tea from the hut on the summit, and as far as I remember that was plenty.

I think it is better to bring as much as you can with you, just to be safe.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/31 22:12
Hey Sira,

I'm planning on taking the shortest route, the fujinomiya. Since all the huts are closed, I'm gonna be hiking at night.

-You say you weren't very fit did you find your pack to be a problem? I"m in reasonable shape, did some light climbing on etigima island off Hiroshima earlier this week as practice without a problem. But I am bring a camera and tripod with me, so its not the lightest pack right now. I just want to make sure I can make it up by sunrise to get some good pictures without getting too sick. Do you think if I left around 7:30PM and took it slow, this would be the best idea?

-Are the huts open all night long to grab a bowl of hot soup or something?
by Michael in Hiroshima rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/31 22:15
oops, I meant to say all the huts are booked out, not closed!
by Michael in Hiroshima rate this post as useful

. 2008/7/31 23:31
Yes, there's one vending machine at Fujinomiya route, 9th station. The tiny cans are 400 yen! So you'd better buy enough drink before you start climbing. I was there 2 weeks ago.

http://www.jp-net.cz/resize_P7200187.jpg I just had to take photo of this, as the price startled me.

I don't realise seeing any on the summit, but canned drinks in souvenir shops were about 500 yen.

Concerning the suitable time. We started climbing at 9pm, average pace (I am not really used to hiking), we made short breaks at the stations, a longer one at 9th station (20-30 minutes) and we reached the summit at 2:30. And it was so freaking cold and we had to wait until 4:10 for the sunrise, and nearly froze. We'd underestimated the weather. Good luck.
by zennie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread