Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Doushimashitaka? 2008/8/2 06:56
Just a simple question really. Doushimashitaka has two real meanings does it?
For example I could use it for What's the matter? or What Happened? For example I could go to the doctor and he might say Doushimashitaka? Or I could talk to my friend and she would say that her Camera had been stolen and I'd say Doushimashitaka?

Or would there be another sentence to find out what had happened when her camera was stolen?

Sorry English is not my first language
by Jinka  

mostly right 2008/8/2 18:24
As you said, "dou shimashitaka?" can have the same meaning as "What's the matter?", although I usually hear "dou shitan desu ka?" or "dou shita no?" a lot more often as it shows more concern towards the other person's well being (the latter would be the way to ask a friend/someone of lower status than you). It also has a meaning similar to "What happened?" in the sense that it could be asking "How (what) did I/you/he/she/it/we/they do?".

I suppose you could ask about the details of your friend's camera being stolen in this way, but I think that most people would ask more specific questions, like when or where the theft happened. Hope this helps!
by sora da yo rate this post as useful

reply to this thread