Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Studying Japanese in Tokyo 2008/8/3 09:04
I live in Canada and I'm 19. I'd like to study Japanese in Tokyo for up to a year, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to.

-Is it required to have education beyond high school to study Japanese in Japan?

-If so, what level of education would I need? (A degree or anything?)

-Is there a way around it?

-Can I study in Japan for any period of time with only high school education?

Any other info, or personal experiences you can give me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
by Nathan  

Visa~~ 2008/8/16 19:53
If you're talking about going to study at a university, unless you've got plenty of money or had really awesome grades and qualified for a scholarship or financial aid, you probably aren't going to be able to pay for it at 19.

If you're talking about living there, working, studying that way, get a bachelor's degree and get a work visa. Or fall in love and get married to a National. You can't stay in the country beyond 90 days without a visa.

Of course, you wouldn't need to worry about this if you were going to Japan to study-- and could prove it. You could get a Students visa and study for a year at a college, but once again, you'd have to pay for it.

If you went to a school that offered a year abroad-- that's a good ticket in, too. I live in Wisconsin and Milwaukee has an abroad program to Japan, and you only have to pay the tuition that you would if going to Milwaukee for the tuition in Japan! That is one hell of a steal at less than $10,000 a year!

Basically, study up on visas and go the route you think either is best or you can afford.
by Dick & Jane rate this post as useful

student visa 2008/8/17 05:02
just apply to any japanese university that has a japanese language course offered.

the price will usually be around 600,000yen per yer for tuition (that's 6grand CAD).

for visas you should use a student visa and then apply for a work permit once you have secured the visa.

if you can't get into a university you should come on a working holiday visa. you need to have at least $2500 before they'll give you one of those though, in addition to paying your tuition, airfare, etc..

All said and done you shouldn't come here with less than $5,000 in cash plus take care of any school fees, etc before you come.

I came with considerably less and it was pretty tight. I relied more on cunning (That sounds so corny) than anything else to keep me afloat til I started getting paid. Jobs in Japan generally pay you for your last month's work which means that you basically do not get paid for 2 months from the time you start working.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

.. 2008/8/17 05:25
I've got a few more questions.

Do I need a university here in Canada to sponsor me, or is that just the easier and less expensive option?

Can I simply get into a school in Tokyo, basically as long as I can afford tuition and accomidation?

Can you study in Japanese language schools on a working holiday visa?

How much Japanese should you know before coming on a working holiday visa, and what kind of jobs can you get?

On the international youth programs website it says most people get jobs teaching English, but don't you need a degree?

What would a very rough year cost for studying Japanese and accomidation etc...(btw, I've been working full time since I graduated, so money might not be a big issue)

Thanks a lot for your replies!
by Nathan rate this post as useful

Go to University? 2008/8/17 06:26
Hi, I'm not sure how helpful this is exactly, but this is my own experience.

An option is to take a course at one of your home universities that has a link with a Japanese/Tokyo university, and go on a foreign exchange program for a year. That way, your accommodation, fees, visa etc. will be sorted out via your university and the one in Tokyo. Plus at the end of it you'll have a degree and will be able to get a job in Japan if you wish to do so. Although you'll have to be patient as you won't be able to go to Japan immediately.

I'm also doing the same thing, although with an English university. Although my degree is actually Japanese Studies, so I've been studying the language, but I don't think that's necessary in all cases.
You can also apply for a scholarship (JASSO) which can help you live more easily in such an expensive city.

Another option is the working holiday visa, but studying Japanese might be more difficult, and is aimed more towards working enough to be able to live there for a year while being a tourist. Plus you'll have to fund everything yourself.

Hope that's helpful to some degree.
by Rachel rate this post as useful

Working holiday visa 2008/8/17 07:44
As a Canadian (you are a Canadian citizen? You said you live in Canada so I'm assuming you are) you are able to get a working holiday visa (6 months to start, then extendable for another 6 months). You can join a Japanese course while on this visa, and also work to fund yourself.

There is no education requirement for this visa, and the amount of money you need show the embassy to get the visa (they ask you to show proof of having around $3,000) is a lot less
than for a student visa.

I first came to Japan on a working holiday visa and worked in a ski resort to start with, which was a great way to improve my Japanese, and then taught English while continuing to learn Japanese.

Here is the page from the Japan Embassy in Canada site which gives you the info for working holiday visas:


The list of rules says that the visa is primarily for those who want to have an extended holiday in Japan, but actually everyone works and/ or studies while on the visa, this is not a problem.
by Sira rate this post as useful

studying Japanese in Tokyou 2008/9/6 07:14
you don`t need any university degree to study Japanese in Toukyou. I am not sure about the university courses, but you could study in private institution for one year on a students visa. As a student you are allowed to work 20 hrs per week. The working holiday visa for one year would allow you work more than 20 hrs per week and also study part time, but that might not be advisable, at least not in the initial phase of your study. Private institutions are good and not that expensive. I am studiying at Yoshida School and can`t complain.
by gakusei rate this post as useful

Student to Working visa 2008/9/7 13:41
While on a student visa, if a potential employer wishes to employ you as a full time employee, would it be an issue to change from student to a working visa ? Thanks for you input.
by Tiny rate this post as useful

reply to this thread