Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to spread ashes in Japan? 2008/8/3 16:05
My mother has requested that her ashes be spread over the Pacific close to Japan. I am wondering if anyone had dealt with or can recomment any compnay which can perform this kind of service.
Or whether it can be done independently without the use of a commerical serivce..
Any feedback would be much appreciated.
by Leo  

ashes 2008/8/4 15:57
All you have to do is go to Japan for a week, go to the seaside, walk along the beach to a quiet area, walk a few steps in the water and scatter the ashes over the water. BE SURE to carry a scarf to first check that the wind blows TOWARDS the water. I would not trust a commercial company. This is such a very private and moving thing to do that you need to do it yourself.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

san-kotsu 2008/8/4 16:09
The following NPO might help answer all your questions. http://www.shizensou.net/e_english/e_enter.html

Generally speaking, it seems that there are no legal problems about spreading ashes within Japan. However, in the past arguements between the spreaders and residents have been reported. This is less likely to happen when the ashes are spread on the sea or sky instead of on land.

Why not catch a cruise from Hawaii, or rent a boat in Japan and spread the ashes from there.
by Uco rate this post as useful

just in case 2008/8/4 16:42
Japanese version of the website introduced in above post by Uco indicates it is legally ok to scatter ashes and bones of deceased, but it seems to me that it is "understanding" or "interpretation" of the mentioned organization; there is a criminal law (also introduced in the website) injailing person who dumped body (or part of a body) for less than 3 years and that's why I also thought it is illegal.

Seemingly, there are people who do spread ashes so it is ok, but if you would be doing it in Japan I would recommend legal advise by an attorney beforehand.
by mochimasu rate this post as useful

just to add 2008/8/4 17:44
My previous comment comes from my experience of having lightly studied various sources over the year or so in hope to do something similar, but certainly it is best to consult for legal advise in advance. Free law consulting in foreign languages are available at various places including city halls in Japan.
by Uco rate this post as useful

scattering 2008/8/4 22:28
My (Japanese) husband's father's ashes were scattered at sea 2 years ago as that was his wish. As far as I know no special permission was needed, they just had to hire a boat operator who was happy for the boat to be used for that purpose.
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread