Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

lower prices when apartment hunting 2008/8/4 18:52
Good day everyone,

As many in this forum might know, when you are associated or working for an U.S. military base in Japan hunting for an apartment means that you will see the military housing prices (sometimes up to 40% from the regular price).

I am currently working for the Yokosuka base and my work does not pay for my rent (I have to pay it out of my pocket). If there anyway or procedure I can do to ensure I get the regular prices for rent? When looking for apartment I know I have to tell them that I work on base due to the whole guarantor issue.

I know that a japanese friend of mine rents a 3LDK in Kamiooka for 150,000. So I am very sure I can find something in that range also especially with the market somewhat low.
by Supercoqui  

. 2008/8/11 02:54
I don't really understand the question, but if you're looking for cheaper housing, the further you go from the station, the older the building, the less sunshine it gets, the cheaper they are.
by Uco rate this post as useful

home sweet home 2008/8/11 04:35
Uco got it right, as usual. There is a universal saying in real estate: "the three most important things are location, location, location". The most attractive places (close to work,entertainment, shopping, with a view, with lots of rooms and conveniences) are always the most expensive. If you are not from that town or country chances are that prices will be higher than for a local. I have lived in several towns in several countries and everywhere the best way to get a place is by word of mouth. Someone knows someone who knows..one also has to change one's expectations about many things. If you have Japanese friends they are the ones to go to for help.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

key money and agency fee 2008/8/11 08:25
Bear in mind that many/ most landlords will want 1 or 2 months' rent as key money and 2 months deposit, which makes the initial layout a lot of money. If you go through an agent there will also likely be 1 month's rent agency fee.

Depending on how long you plan to be in Japan, you may actually be better off paying military housing prices.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/11 09:11
I believe what the OP meant, was that there are two different prices for the same apartment depending on whether you're affiliated with the military or not. The reason for this is that the landlord knows that a military-affiliated person gets a certain amount of money for rent and the landlord wants to get that full amount.

OP, you should just find an apartment that has not been approved by the military housing office. If it hasn't been approved, then the landlord should know that you're not getting any money from the military.
by Jon rate this post as useful

thanks for your replies!! 2008/8/11 21:29
Actually something I found is that when you are a gaijin the landlords will only offer you the worst places that don't move. as they don't expect most foreign people to know the best or worst. I have actually seen some advertisements on the windows and go inside to inquire about a place with similar specs, they will always say that they dont have it available. I even got one of the agents outside the building and showed them the sign and they changed the excuse to it is either too old or too far away. If you keep on asking they will say it is not available.

A friend of mine went with me and told them not to try to rip me of. She also mention some other things that I couldn't understand. I could see the agent's reaction and mood change. All of the sudden multiple places appeared! I finally settled for a place less than 4 minutes from the station on a placed built in 2005. Quite a big place and for a good price.

So anyone looking for good prices I recommend you take a japanese friend that knows some things about apartments.
by Supercoqui rate this post as useful

reply to this thread