Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Just a quick translation 2008/8/5 14:39
Often when I'm talking to my friends in Japanese I'll say something and then she'll ask what it is or something similar.

How could I say " I can't explain it in Japanese." or My Japanese is not good enough for me to explain it."
by magpie1862  

you could say... 2008/8/6 02:47
For "It's hard to explain in Japanese" I would say

nihongo de setsumei suru no ha muzukashii (desu).

But I wouldn't use this, except for concepts, etc. that really don't exist in Japanese. Cause that's the impression this phrase gives.

For "My Japanese isn't good enough to explain it, I would say

(sore ha) setsumei suru hodo nihongo ga dekinai/dekimasen.

But you could also say (and this is the easiest way):

I can't explain it in Japanese.
nihongo de setsumei dekinai/dekimasen

but these last two sound like copouts, so you should try to explain anyway, even if your Japanese is not perfect.
by sora da yo rate this post as useful

Thanks. 2008/8/6 04:28
I was trying to explain that I had to go to the doctor for a medical, which is a requirement for my application to study in Japan.

I used this word Nff to explain it to her. Would that of made sense to you if I had used it in the right context?
by magpie1862 rate this post as useful

yup! 2008/8/6 12:54
Yeah, that's the right word. Even if you just used that word, probably most people would understand your meaning.
by sora da yo rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/7 22:19
sora da yo,
Minor correction on one of your sentences:
For "My Japanese isn't good enough to explain it, I would say
(sore ha) setsumei suru hodo nihongo ga dekinai/dekimasen.

It should be: "Sore wo setsumei suru hodo (watashi ha) nihongo ga dekinai/dekimasen."

The reason is because it is "watashi" whose Japanese isn't good enough... so it has to be "sore WO," "to explain it."

I can't explain it in Japanese.
nihongo de setsumei dekinai/dekimasen

I agree this is the easier way to put it :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread