Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo to Aomori, most direct 2008/8/5 15:45
I'll be going to a conference in Aomori soon. While I can get around Tokyo proper pretty easy, I've only traveled outside of the city twice, and I've never traveled too far.

I was wondering if anyone knew the most direct route; I actually just need to get to the JR Aomori station (from Ueno).

I've already looked at the hyperdia site. I'm looking for information beyond that: Are they're any times to avoid? Is is easy to change trains? Anything additional I should know about purchasing tickets, etc.
by Dr Bob  

Re:Tokyo to Aomori, most direct 2008/8/5 18:34
by xexstyle rate this post as useful

Tokyo to Aomori 2008/8/5 18:39
Dr Bob,

What did Hyperdia tell you? Unless it was in a bad mood, it should have suggested taking the Hayate shinkansen from Ueno (or Tokyo) to Hachinohe (the end of the line) and changing there to the Super Hakucho limited express to Aomori. The trains are timed to give you a 10-minute connection at Hachinohe, and it's easy to find your way from the shinkansen to the regular platforms.
You need to know that reservations are compulsory on the Hayate shinkansen. And when is "soon"? If it's during the Obon period, seats could already be sold out, so I would recommend reserving seats as soon as possible once you know your schedule.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

good information 2008/8/5 19:35
'Soon' is October. I don't like planning traveling at the last minute if I don't have to.

And, basically, that was what I was looking for. How easy/hard to switch trains, etc. Can I use my Suica card for the Super Hakucho?

I didn't know reservations are required for the Hayate either. Would I still be able to buy them right when I leave? I've only traveled to Kyoto on Nozomi, so I didn't know if there was anything different to do when going to Aomori.

Thanks for the information.
by Dr Bob rate this post as useful

easy 2008/8/5 20:09
hayate shinkansen if you need to get there quickly, 123bus if you don't mind taking 10 hours to drive there. the hayate trip costs about 17,000yen from tokyo to aomori-shi. 123bus is around 5,000yen.

when you get off at hachinohe just find the tracks that correspond with what's on your ticket. if you're still having trouble just ask one of the JR staff hanging around in the station. you have to be kind of quick about it as mentioned, you actually have about 15 minutes to get to your new train. if you miss it i'm pretty sure you can catch the next one though.

i doubt you'll have any problems getting tickets on the hayate. i bought mine 1 night in advance at narita's jr ticket office. i would recommend you buy them at least a day in advance if possible. the hayate is a very popular service so there are many trains to choose from if your first pick is full.

have fun in aomori. it's a nice place. at this time of year nebuta festival is happening.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread