Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

AA for future work in japan. Advice? 2008/8/6 12:15
1. Id like to find a job in Japan when I am an adult. I'd either like to be a game/anime designer/manga artist. Or, I was considering a job in cosplay. Id like to know the following;
How are african americans treated in japan?
Is it likely that I could find a job?
Or any other advice that someone wants to give. Thank you!
by Minnapleez  

jobs in cosplay? 2008/8/6 17:13
A job in cosplay? That's new to me. What kind of jobs are there in the cosplay field?
by Sira rate this post as useful

Cosplay Jobs 2008/8/7 09:15
Well, I thought that there'd be jobs for the people who ran the cons and all, but I know of some people who are so good, they get paid to do it. Or, I figured I could even make costumes:)
by Minnapleez rate this post as useful

don't count on it 2008/8/7 10:47
sorry to dash your dreams but it's not going to happen.

you might be able to make costumes, that would be a realistic goal. but that will not be cosplay related. you will need to start an apprenticeship as a tailor or garment maker. there are no jobs as a pro cosplayer, at least not legal. really anything to do with anime or stuff like that is not a realistic job goal for most people. it's a weekend hobby more than anything else. sorry to break it to ya.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

cosplay, anime, manga 2008/8/7 16:03
There is an extremely long thread if you go down to the "others" section and scroll down a bit on "How African American women are treated in Japan"- there are hundreds of answers there already, so check it out.

Cosplay and anime conventions are run by Japanese events companies- the chances of a non-Japanese getting a job with them is practically zero.

What about starting up your own tour company in the US, running tours for Americans interested in going to Japan for the conventions?

As for jobs in anime and manga, hundreds of thousands of Japanese people also want to work in those industries, so again it is unlikely that a foreigner would be hired.

Most jobs for foreigners in Japan are those where being a native English speaker is an advantage- i.e. English teaching, working for foreign companies with offices in Japan.
by SHU rate this post as useful

Ummm. link pleez 2008/8/8 04:41
Yes, I cant seem to find the link for the, How black women are treated in Japan...can someone find it for me...

Looks like it's gone... 2008/8/8 06:51
Sorry, Minnapleez, having said that it was there I now can't find it- kind of odd that it has disappeared. It was a very long thread and had been around for quite a while but got answers quite often.

I guess you might have to start your own new one!
by Sira rate this post as useful

Okay 2008/8/11 12:15
Hmmm, I guess I will have to start a new one...Okay I shall!!!

reply to this thread