Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a job in Japan 2008/8/6 12:25
Hello! Please call me Terror.

I'm a college student who is on a long process trying to move to Japan. I have many questions to ask, but here are some of the following I need answered:

1. Can I get a job a decent job to support myself in Tokyo without a Bachelor's degree?

2. Is it possible to get hired overseas before actually moving to Japan? If so, where can I find a resource to help me look for work?

3. How popular are private English lessons in Japan? Could I possibly support myself doing this?

My Japanese is intermediate, but I plan to progress greatly within this next year. I also support myself as an artist, so I see this as another source of income when I move to Japan (approx. 32,500 JPY).

Oh, and another question I want to throw out there. I want to move to Japan with my Papillon (small dog). How open are apartments in Tokyo to accepting pets these days?
by Terror  

Nationality 2008/8/6 17:16
What is your nationality, Terror? If you are American for example, there is no working holiday visa agreement between Japan and your country, and you will not be eligible for a working visa without a bachelor's degree or at least 3 years' work experience in the field you want to work in in Japan.

First you need to find out if you can actually get a visa which will allow you to live here.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Reply to Sira 2008/8/8 08:25
I am American. I heard if I go to Japan with a student visa, I can work part-time. Is this true? I'm considering going to Japan to study through an American-based campus.
by Terror rate this post as useful

re 2008/8/9 08:25
yes, u can work part-time with a student visa, but i've heard somewhere, that only after a year of stay. Yet, i dont know how much truth is in it.

The easiest thing'd be to contact a japanese embassy or consulate and ask
by yuen rate this post as useful

re 2008/8/9 08:28
well, just after 20sec of searching through this page, i found this:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2231.html

could be of some use
by yuen rate this post as useful

reply to this thread