Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shirioshi (tushy-pushers) 2008/8/8 03:16
Do you capitalize the word shirioshi? Also, do they just push people on, or do they push people off the train too from within? Thanks.
by Alex  

. 2008/8/8 11:50
In the 30 odd years of living in Japan as a Japanese and having commuted on JR trains in central Tokyo, this is the first time I recall seeing the word "shirioshi", but I can easily assume it means the station staffs that push people's buttocks in order to opperate the trains properly. The staff is always there to keep people in the train. They won't and probably are not allowed to pull anyone off the train, unless that someone is annoying the other users.

At the same time, I'm not really sure if they exist any more. Commuting has changed over the years.
by Uco rate this post as useful

shirioshi 2008/8/8 12:04
I found this information on-line and wondered:

Tokyo Destination Information - Tale of Two Cities

Yokohama is Japan's second- largest city and the deepwater port for Tokyo, the largest of them all. Since the two are only 30 km (19 miles) apart and linked by modern road and rail networks, there’s no big problem about commuting‖s long as you avoid those notorious Tokyo rush hours, when the shirioshi squeeze as many passengers as possible into the trains with a push and a shove.

http://www.titanhitours.co.uk/destination.asp?jpm=192&destin...
by Alex rate this post as useful

Tokyo transit 2008/8/8 13:20
The last time I saw them in Tokyo was 1999, but of course I do not live there. The original poster should be aware that many travel magazines and guidebooks (EVEN Lonely Planet) do not update their info as often as they should. At the best of times the info in a guidebook was checked 1 year before it is published. In many cases the wrong info is repeated years after years. I know because every time the latest edition of well known guidebooks on the USA, Canada, France, Japan come out I make a point of checking the towns that I know well.
by Red Frog rate this post as useful

not a common phrase 2008/8/8 13:26
I most recently saw station staff doing that at Kita-Senju station about 11 years ago. I also have never heard that phrase used at all. These days I sometimes see the staff pushing in bags that have been caught in the door, and that's about all. Generally if trains are overcrowded in Tokyo the announcements encourage people to wait for the next one, which at rush hour is often less than two minutes away.

They definitely don't push people off from within- the people getting off do a good enough job of that themselves usually, and it would be very dangerous for someone to be actively pushing. I almost fell over getting off a very crowded train at Shinjuku station a couple of weeks ago because the passengers behind me were pushing so much, and if I had fallen I would probably have been trampled.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/8 13:30
We just say "the station staff pushed me into the train," etc., and at least I have never referred to them as, and I have never heard anyone around me refer to them as, "shirioshi." There are those staff at subway stations still, and they push if they need to, but the situation is not as bad as it used to be before.

As for the word, since it's a foreign word (to English, I mean), but it is no proper noun, I would prefer to see it italicized when they appear in books, like shirioshi.
by AK (Japanese living in Tokyo) rate this post as useful

references 2008/8/8 20:28
Well, it seems to be a word, alright. Says so in dictionaries.
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/search/exje0174250/je/5/

But by searching the word on your favorite search engine, you'll notice that it's not really commonly used that much.
http://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E5%B0%BB%E6%8A%BC%E3%81%97...

shirioshi 2008/8/8 21:23
of course they still exist - catch any train at rush hour. where do you live, uko?
by joseph rate this post as useful

Pushers 2008/8/8 22:35
Alex,

As others have already said, "shirioshi" sounds like something someone made up. The "pushers" used to be called "oshiya", but the need for real pushing has greatly decreased in recent years because of the reduction in overcrowding and the change in social attitudes towards such treatment of customers - not to mention the attitudes toward chikan. Additional platform staff are still posted on platforms at busy stations in the morning rush hour to ensure the doors close safely and to push in the odd bag or limb, but I don't think you'll see anywhere where passengers are physically pushed into trains these days.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

oshiya vs. shirioshi 2008/8/8 23:36
Thank you so much for the useful information! It sounds like I should use the word oshiya (押し屋), or ''pusher'' instead of shirioshi, and that they are less frequently used now.
by Alex rate this post as useful

Oshiya -- from Wikipedia 2008/8/8 23:51
Oshiya
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oshiya (押し屋, Oshiya?), or "pusher", is an informal Japanese term for a worker who stands on the platform of a railway station during the morning and evening rush hours, and pushes people onto the train. When oshiyas were first brought in at Shinjuku station, they were called "passenger arrangement staff" (旅客整理係, ryokaku seiri gakari?), and were largely made up of students working part-time. The job of oshiya is sometimes done by station staff, and sometimes by part-time workers. In many cases, oshiyas stand on the platform of the station by the tracks, guiding the passengers and performing safety checks. On lines such as the Keiō Inokashira Line, where passengers tend to gather in certain carriages, which can become as crowded as during the rush hour, station staff work to redistribute them, while also acting as oshiyas.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Derivation of the Japanese word
* 2 Steps in the work of oshiyas
* 3 Announcements
* 4 Problems for oshiyas
* 5 Sources

[edit] Derivation of the Japanese word

The term oshiya (押し屋, oshiya?) is derived from the verb "osu" (押す, "osu"?), meaning "push", and the suffix "-ya" (屋, "-ya"?), indicating "line of work."

[edit] Steps in the work of oshiyas

1. Before the train enters the platform, they perform safety checks.
2. When the train arrives, watching the passengers get on and off the train.
3. Just before the train departs, they guide passengers who cannot find the space to get onto the train to a door where there is more room.
4. When the doors close, they check that no passengers or items of baggage are stuck in the doors.
5. If any passengers are trapped, they go to push them.
6. When they have finished their area, they go to help in another area. At this point, if the straps of a bag, particularly a rucksack, are trapped, as the doors do not open immediately, it may be difficult for the owner of the bag to get off the train. Oshiyas watch especially carefully for this. They also do the work of a "puller-off" (剥ぎ取り屋, hagi-tori-ya?), pulling off passengers who try to get on too late, or when the train is too full.
7. After the doors have closed, they hold up a flag, one hand, or a lamp, to signal to the conductor. The guard gives the driver the signal to depart.

It becomes difficult to shut the doors when the number of passengers is over 200% of the capacity, but oshiyas are often stationed on platforms when trains are at around 120% capacity, as they also help to organize passengers. If the train is not crowded, but there are many passengers waiting on the platform, as with the first train of the day, or the pattern of platforms from which trains will depart is complicated or has changed, station staff are often sent to the platform to work as "platform organization staff" (ホーム整理員, hōmu seiri-in?), rather than oshiyas.

[edit] Announcements

To deal with passengers effectively, one of the oshiyas makes public announcements. These announcements have the effect of (1) preventing delays and (2) reducing the number of passengers failing to board the train. Examples of these announcements are given below.

Announcement before the train arrives, asking passengers to spread out along the platform
"This is a customer announcement. The next express train is extremely crowded. Customers with time to spare should use the local train, which will be slightly less crowded. The carriages at the front of the train are less crowded. Please use the front of the train first."

Announcement when the train arrives, asking passengers to board smoothly
"The train is now arriving. Please walk inside the white lines. ... Thank you for waiting. The train now at platform 2 is the express, bound for [name of destination]. The train which has arrived is extremely crowded. Please stand well clear of the doors, to allow customers off the train. The last carriage is a women-only car. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation."

Announcement when the train doors have opened, asking passengers to spread out
"Good morning. The train has arrived at [name of station], [name of station]. Change here for the [name of line] line. Please board in order from the front of the lines, from doors where all customers have disembarked. The train now at platform to is the express, bound for [name of destination]. After leaving this station, the next stop is [name of next station]. The train will not stop at [name of other station]. ... Passengers at the ends of the lines should look to the left and right, and move to other doors if those are slightly less crowded."

Announcement when the departure bell rings
"Please do not try to board a departing train; please wait for the next train. The express train is about to depart. Please push away from the doors firmly, to keep yourself and your baggage inside. We will now close the doors. Please mind the closing doors."

Announcement after the train has departed
"The train is moving. Please walk inside the yellow lines. ... We thank customers who waited on the platform for this train to depart for their cooperation. The next train is a local train, bound for [name of destination]."

These announcements are also made at stations in certain suburban areas on crowded lines of major private railways. These announcements are those made when there is plenty of time to spare, and actual announcements are often more powerful and made at a higher speed. In many cases, the departure bell begins ringing the moment the doors open, so that the procedure must immediately move to step 4 above.

[edit] Problems for oshiyas

* In winter, as people wear thick clothes, each person takes up a large area, making it very difficult to push them.
* In April, not only are there large numbers of passengers, but also recent graduates from school who may not be used to crowded trains. Sometimes they inadvertently obstruct other passengers getting on and off trains, causing problems for oshiyas.
* A lack of passenger dignity

Recently, out of consideration for the dignity of passengers, oshiyas often do not push people or items of baggage onto the train with their hands directly if there is only a minor obstruction to the door. Instead, they force the door open by pushing it, so that the passenger can get on fully or pull the baggage onto the train, and then close the door so that it shuts properly.

Much of this article was translated from the equivalent article in the Japanese Wikipedia, as referenced on October 5, 2006
by C. rate this post as useful

Not just any train 2008/8/8 23:59
I often take the Chuo Line, Marunouchi Line, Yamanote Line, Fukutoshin Line and Odakyu Line at rush hour to get to various places I work in, and I haven't seen any pushers in a long time, so it is definitely not the case that you will see them when catching "any rush hour train".

by Sira rate this post as useful

Joseph 2008/8/9 01:46
Probably my harshest rush hour experiences held place during the late 80s when I was commuting at peak hours and the infamous Yamanote Line was part of my route. I was always almost late for work, and I would push myself into the train or be pushed by other users and be forced to slide all down the isle, etc., etc., etc., but I can't recall seeing pusher staffs. Then like any other company, my company started 10:00am shifts, and then pretty soon the Saikyo Line was made. Where do you see them Joseph?

reply to this thread