Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

hey beautiful 2008/8/8 21:34
how do you say hello beautiful in japanese
i want so it to my japanese girlfriend, please someone tell me
thanks
and go for gold assuies
by Ladys man  

Konnichiwa 2008/8/10 08:41
kireinaonnanoko :)
by Module rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/10 10:12
Yo, Beppin or Yo, Bikei is more like it.
by tokyogal rate this post as useful

no can do 2008/8/10 12:59
hey man. i don't think it translates. yo,beppin is close but makes you sound like a bit of a perve.
by joseph rate this post as useful

say it 2008/8/10 14:16
It is hoped to be said it is "Kirei" or "Utsukushii" in a formal place.

Moreover, it likes to be said it is "Kawaii" in a casual scene.

Above all is pleased most with saying in English, "beautiful","pretty","cute".
by H.A rate this post as useful

? 2008/8/10 20:24
so would i just say konichiwa kirei or utsukushii
by Ladys man rate this post as useful

Ah...haha...hummmmm 2008/8/11 10:18
You need to recognize typical Japanese men doesn't say such words to his girlfriend/wife, so we don't have exact words for that. When you say it, she doubt if you've some suspicious things which you wanna hide :P However, you're a foreigner who can make your girl friend understand why you say "hello beautiful" to her. If you wanna say that that much, just use "honey" in English.

"Beppinsan" isn't a word to use for your gf. It's to describe a person who isn't you're acqaintance like TV personality or a woman on a poster, or something. And it's a word used among old people. At least we never use it to a close person.
"Bikei" certainly means "beauty" but it's used for men usually. And still, we don't say it face to face.

"Hello, utukushii" or "hi, kirei"...Hum, she'd know what you wanna say...maybe...but very strange Japanese phrases.

Well, if you talk-sweet to some extent, she'd understand it honestly because you're not a Japanese.

FIY: Most of women also doesn't say "you're cool" or "you're handsome" to their boyfriends!
by M rate this post as useful

Not really but.. 2008/8/11 10:28
If you want to say it to your girlfriend, "yo, beppin" is a no no; that's something a guy might say at a down-to-earth bar to start chatting up a girl (and yet it sounds somewhat rough and vulgar).

In Japanese those phrases don't really translate well. And those "kawaii" "kirei" and "utsukushii" are plain adjectives, which can be used like a noun in English, but in Japanese it cannot. You'd have to say "hello my pretty one" or "hello my beautiful woman," etc.

If you *must* say it, the options I can come up with are as follows, though they are somewhat lengthy - as the previous poster mentioned, saying things like those aren't really part of Japanese men's habits :)
- Boku no kawaii hito (My cute one)
- Boku no kawaiko-chan (My cute little one... some girls might think it's "belittling" so be careful)
- Boku no daiji na hito (My precious one)
- Boku no kirei na hito (My pretty one)

As for "hey," "yaa" would be a general translation. If you want her attention and "say, my beautiful," then you could say "nee" instead. If in
the morning, you can say "ohayo" (good morning, in casual speech) instead.
by AK rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/11 15:31
„so would i just say konichiwa kirei or utsukushii

yes.

In the culture of Japan, there is a scene that should omit the subject and the predicate.
Especially, when the other party is praised, telling in the word is effective.
by H.A rate this post as useful

reply to this thread