Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Experiencing Mount Fuji in October 2008/8/8 23:25
I will be staying near the Izu-Nagaoka station from 10/22 - 10/24. Based on everything I have read on this and other sites, I understand that I do not have the skills to actually climb the mountain in late October. I would still like to utilize the 23rd to experience Fuji as best I can.

How can I best experience the mountain at that time?

Should I hike the lower trails (I love to hike)?

Should I concentrate on viewing the mountain from an adjacent area? If so, can you recommend any parks, towns, hiking trails, etc that might offer a good view/experience in late October?

My traveling partner may not be going with me to experience Fuji. Do you have suggestions for sights he might want to see within reach of Izu-Nagaoka station area? He likes plants, art (especially pottery), and Japanese culture/history.

I am beginning to understand how to figure out how to get to places using public transport but any advice you can offer in this area in your answer would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
by Marty  

Hakone for both 2008/8/9 23:31
With only one day I would recommend to go to Odawara from Izu Nagaoka via Mishima by local trains and furtheron with a Hakone Free Pass ( bought at Odawara station ) make the round course as mentioned here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5200.html
If you prefer, there is a bus between Mishima station and Hakonemachi or MotoHakone, around one, each hour. The Hakone area would allow your friend to join you because of plants and Japanese culture at the old checkpoint. While the friend can enjoy the checkpoint you can hike along the old Tokaido, see: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5205.html
Yes, and if you do it, do it on Thursday 23 Oct, not on a weekend day when it can become very, very crowded.
But this is not climbing on Fuji san, but only the chance to see Fuji san.
by Peter rate this post as useful

What about these hikes 2008/8/12 05:57
Thank you for your suggestion. I had not seen the Hakone Circle trip and it sounds like something my friend might like. I've done some further research and have found two hikes that sound interesting:
1. From Mitsu-toge station to Kawaguchi-ko (6-7 hours, 14 km). This is supposed to have great views of Fuji-san.
2. From Do-ryoson to Miyagino (4 hours/10 km). This hike is supposed to have great views in general but I'm not sure if the views of Fuji-san are better than the first one.
Do you have any knowledge of these areas or recommendations of one hike over the other?
Thanks, Marty
by Marty rate this post as useful

Viewpoints of Mount Fuji in Izu 2008/8/12 11:02
I think the view from Mitsu Toge would be better than from Doryoson since the former is much closer to Mount Fuji and you can feel its size.
Hakone has, however, more historical attractions than any other places around Mount Fuji.

Just FYI, since you're staying in Izu, here's a list of popular viewpoints of Mount Fuji in Izu area.

http://mountfujiguide.com/guide/View_Points_Mt_Fuji_Izu_Area
by junior rate this post as useful

reply to this thread