Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Flight Details/ Customs. 2008/8/12 13:03
My friend from Japan is coming to stay at my house soon, I always speak Japanese to her because she has no confidence in her English ability whatsoever so sometimes we have difficulties.

Anyway I would like to know how to say

" Can you tell me/confirm your flight details?"

And also since she's Japanese she's gonna bring a huge suitcase full of food and gifts. I'm not sure what exactly she's gonna be bringing but I understand that she is going to quite a bit of cooking.

I don't mean to patronise her but how can I tell her to be wary of Customs? I'm sure she doesn't need to worry, but a lot of Asian tourists get big fines because of undeclared items and all the alien products they bring into the country gets a lot of attention from the customs officers.

The customs at the airports in New Zealand are quite strict compared to that of Japan.
by max. 40 letters  

... 2008/8/12 14:52
- Furaito ga kimatte itara, oshiete kudasai. (If your flight has been finalized, please let me know.)
I'm sure her flight has been fixed already, but this is just a way of asking without sounding too pushy...)

- New Zealand no zeikan wa kibishii node, nimotsu no shinkoku niwa ki wo tsukete ne. (As NZ customs is strict, please be careful with luggage declaration.)
- New Zealand no zeikan wa kibishii node, tabemono no mochikomi niwa ki wo tsukete ne. (As NZ customs is strict, please be careful bringing in food.)

You can use the second sentence if you are particularly worried about quarantine checking on any food products she might bring in (I recall AUS is quite strict with food).
Hearing these sentences, if there are some goods she is thinking of bringing in, she might ask you if certain goods are ok, etc.
by AK rate this post as useful

As 2008/8/12 15:59
a general rule, she shouldn't be bringing raw foods such as meat, better buy them for her at your local Japanese/Chinese market.
by Module rate this post as useful

reply to this thread