Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Prescription Medication in Japan 2008/8/12 22:00
Hi all,

I'm about to go to Japan for a years study but I am currently taking Microgynon 30 (contraceptive pill) and have been told I can only take a months worth of it without paperwork. I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of paperwork you need to take more into Japan.

I've heard you can get the contraceptive pill in Japan but its quite strong compared to the kind I get in England (I dont know how this works out but apparently its true) so any information on how I can take more of my prescription from England with me would be really helpful.

Thank you!!
by Seph  

Yakkai Shoumei 2008/8/13 11:44
Hi!
You need to get some paperwork called the yakkai Shoumei - the links are here:
http://kouseikyoku.mhlw.go.jp/kantoshinetsu/pdf/qa_bringmedi...

and

customs.go.jp/english/…006tahorei1806_e.htm

I have just done this and it did take about 3 weeks between when I sent in from Australia and when I got my paperwork back officially stamped - so make sure you leave enough time.
Cheers
Aleph
by Aleph rate this post as useful

My experience 2008/8/13 19:10
I have taken up to a year's worth of contraceptive pills at a time back with me into Japan, a number of times, and I know plenty of people who do this as well. A limit of a month's supply of birth control pills is obviously ridiculous, and I'm not actually convinced that that is the limit.

Even if you were searched I very much doubt anything would be said- I wouldn't worry about any paperwork. Birth control pills are not restricted drugs.

I have also had up to 6 months' worth at a time posted to me from New Zealand by my mother- she just calls my doctor who sends her out a prescription. International post is often checked by customs officers- again I have had no problems here.
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/13 20:22
Until 1999, when "low dosage" pills for contraceptive purpose was permitted in Japan, all "pills" (for therapeutic purposes) were "high dosage," meaning those with side effects and all that. Since 1999, low dosage pills are available also in Japan, through doctors, so I'd say no worries about "stronger" pills in Japan.

If I am correct, Microgynon 30 is a single-phase (meaning all 21 pills contains the same level of hormones) and belongs to the 2nd generation of low dosage pills (meaning it uses Levonorgestrel) as progestagen.

This one (mail order company that imports Microgynon 30 for users in Japan) has all the details:
http://medikau.net/product_info.php?products_id=35&osCsid=72...

- So according to this information, Microgynon 30 contains Ethinyl Estradiol 0.03mg and Levonorgestrel 0.15mg.

- The one I am taking Tricular 28 (3-phase, so differernt levels of hormones every 7 days or so, and 1st generation, so uses different kind of progestagen) contains 0.03mg to 0.04mg of Ethinyl Estradiol, and 0.05 to 0.125mg of Levonorgestrel-equivalent (called Norethisterone). So by now the ones available in Japan are low dosage too.

Obviously, taking just one month's worth of contraceptive pills makes no sense - so I (unofficially) think that it would be OK for you to take a year's supply with you, or a half year's, and get the rest mailed, OR even buying equivalent in Japan. Once you find the type that works well with you, we want to be able to use that type, right :)
by AK (Japanese woman) rate this post as useful

Take a year's supply! 2008/8/13 21:42
I'm also from England, going to Japan to study for a year from September, and I'm actually taking the same contraceptive pill you are (microgynon 30). However, I was actually advised to take a year's supply by my year abroad organiser, so I don't know who told you that you can only take one month's supply.

As people have posted above, I have also had no problems with taking more than a month's worth of the pill in previous trips, so I'd see a doctor and get a prescription if I were you, otherwise you'll have to pay to get the pill in Japan, and it'll be unnecessary hassle too.
by Rachel rate this post as useful

Pills 2008/8/14 04:35
Just like many situations in Japan, when you go through Customs, KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT. Don't volunteer any information, especially about pills. If they ask, fine, just act as if it is the most normal thing in the world to have a year's worth.
As soon as something is even just slightly out of the normal, it will result in all sorts of dumb questions, etc.
I met a French translator living in Tokyo. One day he went into a phone booth and found a woman's purse. He took it to the nearby Koban (Police box) and he was grilled for an hour - why did he go to that phone booth? How much money did he have? And on and on and on.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

reply to this thread