Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

dating-a bad idea? 2008/8/14 02:18
I will be going to Japan soon to work as an english teacher.
While I am not going over there with any plans of romance, I do acknowledge the fact that a single guy could easily become interested in someone, no matter where he is. I also realize that Japanese feel very differently about dating, and foreigners in general, very differently.
Is it even a good idea for me to try and approach someone for a date? Or would I just seem strange or creepy? Is it against some unspoken rule to not go out with foreigners there? Also, my Japanese is not very good, so I could see that being a problem. Thanks for the advice!
by Philip  

very normal 2008/8/14 09:23
You are just one of thousands of guys who come to Japan every year and want to date the locals. I know so many non-Japanese married to Japanese that I can't even begin to count them. Rest assured that what you want to do is not unusual at all.

It isn't the usual thing to just walk up to someone on the street and ask them for a date in Japan, and the language barrier makes things a bit different, but otherwise don't worry about it. Go ahead and date all you like.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Dating 2008/8/14 09:51
Philip,

I also realize that Japanese feel very differently about dating...

Eh? In what way?
As Sira says, don't worry about it. Beside, moving to Japan, you will have a lot more important things to worry about. ;-)
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Re: 2008/8/14 11:33
I realize that. Like I said, it's not that high on my priority list. I've never been on any dates, period, let alone one with someone who can't understand me. I'm more worried about surviving.
by Philip rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/14 12:22
I think you might be thinking it one dimensionally, you might come to Japan and find another single female english teacher or someone living in Japan who's not even Japanese at all.

I also realize that Japanese feel very differently about dating

In what way?

In many ways its similar rather then very different to how anyone would want any date to go.

So one tip if you do go on a date, is don't get confused with to many preconceptions you might have of how dating is or isn't in Japan. Just act yourself.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread