Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 22

1 2
next

JR or Kansai Thru Pass? 2008/8/14 03:25
I will be travelling to Osaka followed by Lake Kawaguchi(via JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line) and Tokyo. Will be doing day trip to Himeji and Kobe while I am in Osaka. Should I be getting JR or Kansai Thru Pass?

Also, do I have to pay for reserved seats even thro I have the pass?
by zenn  

Any Advise 2008/8/16 15:29
Anyone could help?
by zenn rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/16 17:58
It is difficult to give answers because you have not given enough information, which is probably why you have not had a reply. You have not stated the number of day over which you will make the trip nor your entrance and exit airports from Japan. Without that info, it is impossible to say if a JR Rail Pass or single ticketing would be the better value.

What I can say is that a Kansai Thru Pass is only valid in the Kansai area (Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, etc) and only for private railways, not JR. Also, you said you are going to Lake Kawaguchi via JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line, but the Shinkansen doesn't go there.

Regarding reservations, if you hold a JR Rail Pass, reserved seating is free.
by RobBeer rate this post as useful

My Iterinary 2008/8/16 22:27
Thanks RobBeer! Here is my iterinary :

Day 1 : Arrive Osaka and taking hotel transfer
Day 2 : Shopping at Namba Area
Day 3 : Train to Himeji castle in the morning and on the way back to Osaka, drop by Kobe
Day 4 : Osaka area
Day 5 : Package tour to Kyoto (transport provided)
Day 6 : Train from Osaka Jo Keon to Mishima Station (change via Osaka Station & JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line
Day 7 : Train from Kawatuchiko Station to Shinjuku
Day 8 : Tokyo
Day 9 : Tokyo
Day 10 : Tokyo back home

Any suggestion? Thanks!

. 2008/8/17 07:14
You will be better off buying single tickets, even with taking the Shinkansen to and from Himeji. You can check the pricing here:

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

Reserved Seat 2008/8/26 02:15
Thanks RobBeer! Issit really necessary to reserved seat?

. 2008/8/26 05:32
Reservations are not alway necessary and in some cases it may be less crowded in the non-reserved section. If using the Shinkansen to Himeji, it is only two stops via Hikari or Nozomi (about one per hour) and three stops via Kodoma, so you don't really need a reservation there. The only one you might consider a reservation would be the Shin Osaka to Mishima section. There are direct Hikari services about every two hour from Shin Osaka, and this is also the cheapest/quickest Shinkansen. The reservation fee for this trip is 710 Yen.

Reserved Seat 2008/8/26 13:21
Thanks RobBeer! Can I reserved at any train station or only at Shin Osaka station?

. 2008/8/26 17:54
Yoou can make the reservations at any manned JR ticket office.

Are you going with the cheaper option of single tickets and which trains do you want to make reservations for?

Pass 2008/8/26 20:20
Yes planning to get single pass and considering 1 day pass for Himeji. Do I take JR from Himeji to Kobe?

Is there 1 day pass for Shin Osaka to Mishima station?

. 2008/8/26 21:55
You can get the one day JR Kansai Area Pass for your trip to Himeji, but this is only valid on regular JR trains, not on Shinkansen. Also, you can only use the unreseved seating on limited express trains, unless you pay the extra for reserved seating (1,650 yen one way). Osaka to Himeji is about one hour via limited express.

Yes, you take JR from Himeji to Kobe.

You can check times and train options here:

http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

There isn't a one day pass covering Shin Osaka-Mishima, the minimum is the 7 day JR Rail Pass for all Japan. As I said before, single ticketing (with the Kansai area Pass for Himeji/Kobe) being the best value.

Depending on where you will be going on day 4, an Osaka day ticket for buses and subway may be good value at 850 Yen.

1 day pass 2008/8/26 22:04
Thanks RobBeer! I would like to go to Earthquake Memorial Museum (kobe) from Himeji but JR will only stop at Kobe? Do I change to another line from kobe to Earthquake Memorial Museum?

For 1 day pass, can I purchase thro machine or over the counter?

My revised itinerary 2008/8/26 22:15
Day 1 (Sun):
- Reach Osaka 31 Aug 7.20am
- Leave luggage with hotel, go for breakfast and proceed to Osaka aquarium
- Check in hotel after 2pm
- Kita & Namba Park

Day 2 (Mon) : 1 day JR Pass?
- Momofuku Ando Instant Ramen Museum
- Rinku Outlet 10am-8pm

Day 3 (Tue) : 1 Day JR Pass
- Train to Himeji castle in the morning and on the way back to Osaka, drop by Kobe
Earthquake Memorial Museum & shopping at kobe

Day 4 (Wed) :
- Osaka Castle
- Meeting in afternoon
- Dinner at Dotonbori

Day 5 (Thur) : Kyoto package tour

Day 6 (Fri) : JR 11750yen
- Osaka Jo Keon to Mishima Station (change via Osaka Station & JR Tokaido Shinkansen Line.
- Mishima Station to Kawatuchiko Station

Day 7 (Sat) : JR 3110yen
- 5th Station
- Kawatuchiko Station to Shinjuku
- Roppongi Hills

Day 8 (Sun 7) :
- Harajuku (Cosplay, Meiji shine, Daiso 100 yen shop, kiddyland)
- Ueno Park (Shinobazu Pond, Toshogu Shrine)
- Asakusa (Nakamise Shopping Street , Sensoji Temple & Asakusa)
- Shopping at Shinjuku

Day 9 (Mon) : Tokyo Disney

Day 10 ( Tue 9) :
- Tsukiji Fish Market
- Ikebukuro (Sunshine City)
- Home sweet home

OMG 2008/8/26 22:24
- Harajuku (Meiji shine)
- Ueno Park (Shinobazu Pond, Toshogu Shrine)
- Asakusa (Nakamise Shopping Street , Sensoji Temple & Asakusa)

These are, I feel, just a waste of time and money. You are missing much more historic temples and shrines (in Kyoto, Nara, Nikko or Mt.Koya)
by Ts rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/26 23:43
To get to the earthquake museum from Himeji, take the JR Special Rapid Service to Sannomiya and change to the JR Kobe line and go one stop to Nada (direct of Osaka). Access map here:

http://www.dri.ne.jp/english/kanran/map.html

To get to the ramen museum, the easiest way is via Hankyu railway from Umeda station. Also, the cheapest train option for Rinku Town is Nankai railway from Namba, 1,480 Yen roundtrip. A JR Pass would not save you money.

Suica Card 2008/8/28 03:28
Should I get Suica Card?

. 2008/8/28 04:19
Suica card for where?

Suica card 2008/8/28 11:51
Oh I thought Suica card can be used in both osaka & tokyo? Or tokyo only?

. 2008/8/28 17:54
As you are entering Japan via Kansai Airport, you cannot buy the Suica card in the Kansai region, the IC smart card used by JR in that area is called ICOCA. This would be useable on local JR trains, not limited express or Shinkansen. This card can also be used on most private railways, buses and subways in the Kansai region.

You could use the ICOCA card in the Tokyo area, but it does not cover private railways or subways, only JR trains.

JR or Kansai Thru Pass 2008/9/24 05:02
Seems that my itenary is similiar to Zenn. Wonder I should get JR pass, or just JR West Pass or Kansai Thr Pass. Needed help ...

Itenary as follows:-
Day 1 - Osaka (staying in Shin Osaka). Shop around Namba, Umeda, Osaka Castle and maybe Bay area

Day 2 - Shin Osaka to Nara and Kobe

Day 3 - Shin Osaka to Kyoto

Day 4 - Shin Osaka to Kawaguchiko (which I need help in). If I'm getting JR pass, can I take Hikari Shinkasen to Mishima Station 2 hours and then take a Fujikyu bus to Kawaguchiko Station (2130 Yen, 2 hours, not covered by the Japan Rail Pass).

Day 5 - Kawaguchiko to Mount Fuji

Day 6 - Kawaguchiko to Tokyo

Day 7 - Tokyo Disneyland

Day 8 - Asakusa and tokyo tower

Day 9 - Home sweet home

Do you think I need to buy Kansai Thr Pass, JR West pass or JR pass?

Thanks in advance
by Stacey rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 22

1 2
next

reply to this thread