Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

tv champion restaurant 2008/8/14 22:48
I am serious with what I am asking.
Where can I find a list of restaurants which used to be on TV Champion show?
How can I order food in Japan if I can't read Japanese menu?
Really, I'm serious.
by ooh  

TV Champ 2008/8/15 10:07
1. Go to the TV champion website.
2. Pray that there's someone there who understands English.
by Tekka rate this post as useful

I wish it's that easy 2008/8/15 14:36
1. I did
2. I don't want to do that.
Dear another person,
Are there any suggestions on how to order meals when you go in to restaurants and there are many dishes ' names posted all over the places, in Japanese.
by ooh rate this post as useful

Listings 2008/8/15 14:53
There doesn't seem to be a list of restaurants that have featured on TV Champion but I'm sure if you can remember the topic of the exact show and approximately when it aired, you can find it on the internet. I see a few restaurants here and there that have TV Champion posters on the wall to commemorate their appearance.

As for ordering in Japanese, I think you ought to just take an electronic dictionary with you and go from there unless you go to a big restaurant in metropolitan areas where there's a possibility that someone understands a little English.

I'm serious.
by Another Person rate this post as useful

restaurants 2008/8/17 05:07
Have you guys ever been to Japan? Many Japanese restaurants have big window displays with realistic looking wax models of the food they serve,with the price an the name (in romaji in touristy areas). The display shows both individual dishes and sets (like a main course plus something else plus a drink etc. for a fixed price). When I enter I smile at the hostess then point towards the window, we both go out and I order. Actually as soon as I enter they often smile and motion towards the window display themselves. Even the Japanese look at these models. In other restaurants, especially small places serving only donburi or udon, they have menus with pictures and prices. You can also try fancy expensive Eurostyle places and the staff will speak English.
I don't speak Japanese and have never starved yet. By the same token I have visited many European countries, China etc. without speaking their language and was alway able to get a meal, buy stuff etc..
re TV champions: are you talking about the Iron chef contest? if so you can Google it
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Food 2008/8/17 05:14
check http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e620.html
to learn about food in Japan, restaurants etc. it is under A-Z at the very top of this electronic guide.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

Thank you 2008/8/18 10:35
Dear Another Person.
Really thanks for your kind advice. Really, I'm serious :)

Dear Monkey see,
Thanks a lot for the link you gave.
I have no problem with that kind of restaurants you mentioned.( Who would have???)
What I'm talking about are local restaurants for local people which some of them have more interesting local dishes that all restaurants with models in front do not have.
I've been around including Japan and I'm sure "Another Person" have been around as well , somehow I do prefer speaking some of local languages than using sign language or pantomime.
by ooh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread