Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Request/Command/Imperative 2008/8/15 18:51
Hi. I would like to ask about the difference between the three forms of verbs.
Ex: kite kinasai koi

itte ikinasai ike

I understand that -te is more of a request. But I must admit I can't see the border line between a command and an imperative. Can someone enlighten me? Thank you.
by Zyzzyva  

... 2008/8/18 14:16
"Kite" (informal speech) or "Kite kudasai" (polite speech) would be requests - "come" (in a friendly tone) or "please come." Please note that "kite" by itself is often also called "te-form." It is followed by different helping verbs or other verbs to express different meanings.

I agree that the names "command" and "imperative" can be confusing -

- "Kinasai" is a gentle (but firm) words that maybe your teacher or parents might say to you.
- "Koi" is something, well, you are not likely to be told - that would be like your boss yelling at you if he is angry at you, or an angry dad at an ostinate child of his, or someone calling on their dog to come over... lol
by AK rate this post as useful

smth to add... 2008/8/18 21:18
Okay. I read somewhere that the impreative form (koi) is also used in books like textbooks instructions, is it?
by Zyzzyva rate this post as useful

reply to this thread