Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route 2008/8/19 11:04
I read that this Apline route has the 1st snow in Nov. May I know what are our chances of seeing falling snow if we go on 23rd Nov? Is it a good time to go in Nov as this seems to be in between season?

We've quite a bit of luggage so is it better we make it a day trip from Tokyo? We've the option to stay a night or 2. Our next destination is Kyoto after Alpine route.

It's really hard to believe this place doesn't offer a Free Pass like Hakone... Do children pay half price for all the modes of transportation? We'll have the JR Pass but I don't think this covers the Apline Route.

I suppose Nov will be too late for apple and grape picking? Toyoma town & the Matsumoto Castle also seem interesting to visit. How can we incorporate them into the visit?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

by lsee  

Alpine Route 2008/8/19 14:22
If you want to go on the Tateyama-Kurobe Alpine Route at the end of Nov., the first thing you should do is to check whether the Route is opened or not. Because of the harsh weather condition, normally it's opened only from mid Apr. to late Nov.
http://www.alpen-route.com

Even if it's opened, doing it as a day-trip from Tokyo is out of the question. The Route itself already takes up the better half of a day, and to get to Shinano-Omachi (the eastern end of the Route) from Tokyo will requires 4-5 hrs. by train.

If you're visiting Matsumoto, spend a night there. Start early the next morning and take a 50 min direct train from Matsumoto to Shinano-Omachi to start your ascend. On the western end of the Route is Tateyama which is 1-1.5 hr train from Toyama. Spend a night in Toyama before taking 3 hr. JR the next day to Kyoto.

You don't want to have your luggage with you while you're taking the 6 different means of transport on the Alpine Route, esp. with kids. So arrange to forward your luggage to Toyama the day before.
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/english/
by William rate this post as useful

reply to this thread