Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Honestly 2008/8/19 13:29
Say I am asking somebody's opinion in Japanese or asking them if they are all right.. but they just answer just to be nice where as they are hiding what they really think.Of course their opinion could be genuine of course

How could I say something like Honestly? or Be Honest but without sounding rude or patronising?

by Sore Da Yo  

how would you say it in your language? 2008/8/19 17:17
Well, how would you say it in your own language? It probably depends on what you're asking about, but for example, one might say "I appreciate criticism, because it would help me make things better for the future." In Japanese, this translates to something like, "Kongo no sankou ni shitai node, zehi, shoujiki na go-kansou wo onegai shimasu."
by Uco rate this post as useful

Let me give an example. 2008/8/19 18:45
"Do you like my school?"
"Yes"
"Honestly?"

What would honestly be if I were to be speaking Japanese or if they use it at all.
by Sore Da Yo rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/19 18:50
"Do you like my school?"
"Yes"
"Honestly?"

In that case, (in casual speech) "Hontou?" ("Really?") or "Honne de?" ("In truth?" meaning "You are not trying to be polite?" "You are not covering up your true feeling?") would be fine. But note that depending on the tone, it *can* sound like you doubt what that person's saying :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread