Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido in one week? 2008/8/19 19:58
Hi!

I'm planning to go to Hokkaido using one-week Japan Rail Pass starting from 22th August. I'll start in Okazaki (Aichi-ken, near Toyohashi with shinkansen accessible) and must reach Tokyo on the last day (28th) still using the Rail Pass. Which leaves me about 5 days in Hokkaido.

I want to visit Akan, Shiretoko, Rebun island, Souya Misaki (Cape Soya) (if possible), Daisetsuzan and Lake Toya...
Do you think it's doable? I can't use rental cars, just the trains and buses if there's no other choice (like for Souya Misaki). If it's not, what would you consider skipping?
Also, I don't mind sleeping under a tree, I just need to see as much as possible in this limited amount of time and be able to catch right trains.

There's not much time left for planning, but I'd appreciate any comments.

Thank you!
by .Den  

... 2008/8/22 18:18
It is too much for one week, even if you were to fly!

Taking the train to Sapporo and back strips you of two days. The ongoing trip to either eastern (Akan/Shiretoko) or northern Hokkaido (Rishiri/Soyamisaki) takes most of an additional day. This probably leaves you with only 3-4 days of sightseeing in Hokkaido, which is enough for about two of the many destinations you plan to visit.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/22 22:00
Thank you, Uji.
I just arrived to Asahikawa, writing from manga kissa here. ^^
In the end, I made

1st day: Okazaki -- Asahikawa
2nd day: Asahikawa -- Daisetsuzan -- Asahikawa -- Wakkanai
3rd day: Wakkanai -- Rebun -- Wakkanai -- (overnight)
4th day: -- Shiretoko Shari (is Sleeper car covered by Rail Pass?) -- Shiretoko -- Shiretoko Shari
5th day: Shiretoko Shari -- Kawayu Onsen -- Akan -- Kawayu Onsen
6th day: Kawayu Onsen -- Sapporo -- something around Sapporo
7th day: Sapporo/Hakodate -- Tokyo

plan... Seems doable.

I just hope the sleeper car is covered by the Rail Pass, had no time searching beforehand.
by .Den rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/23 09:23
Day 2 (today, I guess) looks very packed, although it depends where in Daisetsuzan you planned to go. Did you make it to Daisetsuzan and Wakkanai today, and actually had some time in Daisetsuzan?

As for sleeper trains, I don't think there are any between Wakkanai, Asahikawa and Shiretoko. If there were, the Japan Rail Pass would be valid on seats, but not on berths. If you use berths, you have to pay various surcharges:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2356.html

Today 2008/8/23 23:35
Well, I had 6.5 hours in Daisetsuzan today. I actually just took a common ropeway-highest peak route and ended up having 2 spare hours before the last and unfrequent bus.

I'm writing from Wakkanai now... But I'm not sure as what to do tomorrow due to this Sleeper car. It's this one: http://homepage1.nifty.com/hodo/burutore/marimo/index.htm
Ltd. Express Marimo. It looks like it has normal seats... But on Hyperdia.com, it's treated as "Sleeper Car" with about 8900-yen fare. I guess I just should ask someone on the station?

Anyway, I'm going to make 3 different plans for tomorrow now... Not sure whether to follow the plan above, whether to stay on Rebun overnight or whether to stay on Souya Misaki overnight.

... 2008/8/24 10:13
Ltd. Express Marimo

This train runs between Sapporo and Kushiro, from where you could take a bus or train into Akan National Park. This particular train service has only eight days "to live" until it will be discountinued forever. As a result, it might be crowded by train enthusiasts who want to experience it for the last time. The train does have seats which are fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass. Some of the seats are even non reserved, so you can ride the train even if all reserved seats and berths are booked out. There is a certain risk, however, that you won't find a seat and will have to either sit on the floor or stand through the night.

In any case, enjoy your trip! It sound exciting!

Ima ha Toukyou ^^ 2008/8/30 01:13
Thank you very much, Uji, even though I couldn't read your posts soon enough.

I've actually managed to see even more than listed above in just this one week!
My plan was as follows:

1st Day: Okazaki -- Asahikawa through Toyohashi, Tokyo, Hachinohe, Hakodate and Sapporo

2st Day: Going to Daisetsuzan, returning to Asahikawa and going to Wakkanai

3rd Day: Ferry to Rebun-tou, 4-hour course customized into 7-hour course and the last ferry back to Wakkanai (Rebun Island on a clear day is an ultimately unforgettable experience! Highly recommended).

4th Day: Bus guide tour in Wakkanai and to Souya-misaki, visiting Wakkanai Onsen and taking a train bound for Sapporo, changing to Marimo for Kushiro

5th Day: Arriving to Shiretoko Shari via Kushiro at about 8 AM, taking bus for Utoro, ferry round trip along the Shiretoko Peninsula, visiting Furepe Waterfall, Shiretoko Go-ko (Five Lakes), Kamuiwakka Falls, going back to Shiretoko Shari and taking train for Kawayu Onsen

6th Day: Using shuttle busses for Iozan, Lake Kussharo, Ainu Kotan and Lake Masshu... But it got SO misty that day I couldn't see a thing in Masshu-ko and not much of Kussharo-ko either... But since I couldn't do anything about it, I don't cry over a spilt milk. It was still quite a funny experience which provided me a chance for another just the same day... I met someone from the shuttle bus in train bound for Kushiro (I still had half a day free and wanted to go to prison museum in Abashiri, but I wouldn't make it in time due to extremely infrequent trains) and his plan was to go to Nemuro and back RIGHT away after arriving to Nemuro, he just had nothing to do either... So I joined him. ^^ Something nearing 3 hours to Nemuro, printing a stamp with "Japanese easternmost train station - Higashi Nemuro" and taking a photo with a similar sign, the same time back to Kushiro, going for a dinner and then Marimo Express back to Sapporo

7th day: Arrived to Sapporo at 6:20 AM, waited until omiyage shops opened and bought some, took a train for Hakodate, used ropeway to the famous observation deck, then took train for Hachinohe and shinkansen bound for Tokyo

It was really GREAT, interesting and funny experience, not SO packed as it may look judging from this schedule and overally, I just loved it.
And for others: Hokkaido's most famous spots by trains in one week is doable!
...or at least WAS until the 1st September 2008, not sure about the situation from now. I had no idea they are suspending the great Marimo Express. Should I consider myself extra lucky? I even got a "Last Run: Kushiro - Sapporo" certificate or whatever at the Kushiro Station. And that may explain VERY strange crowds of people all hyped up to make as many photos of Marimo as possible... I couldn't get why the hell where they so excited about it.

Anyway, I recommend Hokkaido to everyone!!

... 2008/9/6 12:29
Thank you for your beautiful trip report! I am glad you enjoyed the trip and managed to visit all these places in such a short time frame. That is quite an achievement.

You say that there were shuttle buses around Lake Kussharo/Masshu. Were they convenient to use and operating frequently?

. 2008/9/6 18:14
...I had a similar trip and I also went to Akan lakes, though to Mashu-ko and Akan-ko. As far as I know, there's a bus (only one a day) which goes from Shiretoko to Mashu-ko, departing at 13.45, arrives to Akan-ko at 15.00 and departs again at 17.00 for Abashiri. Maybe it goes to Kussharo before Mashu-ko, I boarded at Mashu-ko so I'm not sure. It cost about 4000 yen.

So I wouldn't say frequent, but it's doable if you plan at least little bit in advance.
by zennie rate this post as useful

. 2008/9/7 21:52
Uji: Busses to Kussharo and Masshu-ko are quite OK, but only from about 8 to (I think) about 13 o'clock. After that...I don't even think there are any busses after that. But I'm not sure. But the mentioned ones were quite convenient.

reply to this thread