Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Good books from a foreigners perspective 2008/8/20 14:44
I've been looking for good books on Japan written by foreigners that have the same feel as "Hokkaido Highway Blues" by Will Ferguson, or "Lost Japan" by Alex Kerr. Basically non-fiction books that account a foreigners travels in Japan. Any suggestions? If you know some fiction ones, go ahead and name those as well!
by Okitasan  

books 2008/8/21 02:30
GLIMPSES OF UNFAMILIAR JAPAN by Lafcadio Hearn,published by the Charles E. Tuttle company (editor specializing in books about Japan). My copy is from 1996. Hearn is a 19th century writer, Irish-Greek, studied in France, lived in the USA then Japan. His books are still published and amazingly one can still find many of the sites he wrote about in several books. I visited one of his home in Matsue and his tomb in Tokyo.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

books 2008/8/21 02:39
try these - I enjoyed them:
Looking for the Lost - Alan Booth

Road to Sata - Alan Booth

Learning to Bow - Bruce Feiler

Inland Sea - Donald Richie

Traveler's Tales Japan: True Stories - Donald George - this is a collection of many exerpts and has a list of several books in the back

I think you've already found one of my favorites - Hokkaido Hwy Blues.

Hope this helps.
by bones rate this post as useful

another book 2008/8/21 02:42
I forgot one - 36 Views of Mt. Fuji - I'm sorry, I don't have the author - this is another good book.
by bones rate this post as useful

Re: Glimpses of Unfamiliar Japan 2008/8/21 04:02
This is one of those books where the copyright has expired in many countries and it can be downloaded as e-book from many locations legally: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/8130

Otherwise I would recommend "Dogs and Demons" by Alex Kerr. I noticed that you already read "Hokkaido Highway Blues" by Will Ferguson; it is one of my favourite books about Japan ^_^
by Kappa rate this post as useful

books on japan 2008/8/21 04:24
by acase rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2008/8/21 14:05
Thanks for your recommendations! I have Dogs and Demons and will be reading that one next...
by Okitasan rate this post as useful

Cyclists view 2008/8/21 16:53
These are very good idiosyncratic books about travelling Japan by bicycle.
The Sun in my Eyes and A Ride in the Neon Sun.
Both by Josie Dew
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Nicolas Bouvier 2008/8/21 21:19
There is also Nicolas Bouvier's "Japanese Chronicles". A Swiss writer who travelled and lived in Japan in the 50's. It was written in French but there is an English translation.
by Kali rate this post as useful

reply to this thread