Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

divorce with americans 2008/8/21 02:04
Hi. I'm trying to divorce my American husband who lives in Japan. We are both American with no kids. I have talked to American lawyers but they said since we haven't lived in the US for almost 3 years, we cannot divorce there. Then Japanese lawyers said since we didn't marry in Japan, we cannot divorce here. I'm wondering what to do because he is starting to do crazy stuff like break into my car and sit outside my apartment. Any advice?
by need advice  

Embassy? 2008/8/21 16:01
Give the US Embassy in Japan a call; I'm sure that they have come across this catch-22 situation more often.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

Not Sure but 2008/8/22 02:31
I believe the American lawyers with whom you spoke with are wrong.
Since both of you most likely retain your US citizenship then you should be able to divorce under US law and you have to make it final in the US any way since you were married in the US correct?

As kappa said go to the US embassy and they should be able to give you full information. The only thing I can think of that will be a problem is if you haven't been paying US taxes on your income as you are still liable for taxes for work outside of the US or you dropped your US citizenship.

Good luck!
by American Also rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/22 05:47
In order to divorce an American, you need to go through American judicial system which of course, doesn't exist in Japan. You may have a difficult time divorcing your hubby in Japan. In any case, contact the local police before he hurt you. And call American embassy ASAP and let us know what you find out.
by tokyogal rate this post as useful

no help from US Embassy 2008/8/22 12:52
Yes, you have to go through the US judicial courts to divorce btw Americans. This is incredibly complicated, but I did make some reports with the police for my safety. I will keep you all updated on what happens. Thanks.
by need advice rate this post as useful

reply to this thread