Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visit many times, cant live in America 2008/8/21 05:22
Okay, so my boyfriend and I are long distance. Him in Japan, me in America. He wants to be able to visit me many times before he tries to move here and attain a visa. There is one question thats' been bothering him and I'm not too sure about it.
If he visits America too many times (too many times meaning only like between 1-3 times a year), he can't come and live here on a visa or something else? I'd appreciate it if someone knew something about this.
by Momo  

advice 2008/8/21 17:06
The best place to ask is the US immigration department in your town or a big town nearby.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

. 2008/8/21 17:45
You need to check with US Immigration.

But generally speaking NO. If he only visits as a Tourist/Temporary Visitor.

If he goes to the US on a student visa, work visa, marries you or some other thing, then YES he can stay for a generally longer then 1 year period.

Generally speaking of course.
by John rate this post as useful

No lawyer here, but, 2008/8/21 19:41
I think what you are asking about is if his visiting you in the US quite often as a Temporary Visitor is going to pose some difficulty for him to obtain rather long-term visa later in his life, right?

I think what he is talking about is, if he comes on Temporary Visitor status too often, US Immigration might start asking him questions - are you working here, are you studying here, are you going to get married in the US, etc. Of course, if someone obviously comes often, he might raise some suspicion that he is trying to come and settle with someone, some employment, or something like that.

As US Embassy in Tokyo (I believe) interviews people who apply for long-term visa (for student, employment, etc.) for the US, if they see a lot of stamps in his passports indicating that he's been to US often, they will probably ask him questions.

I don't think just a few times a year would cause any difficulty later for him, but I cannot tell for sure. If he stays for a rather long time per visit, it might. But he would need to come up with "tactics" in answering questions by Immigration, I'd say.
by ... rate this post as useful

reply to this thread