Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Work Opportunities in Kyushu? 2008/8/21 07:53
I'm an American college student right now that will have either a double major in Japanese and International Relations or a major in Japanese with a minor in Business. I'm not sure which one will provide me with better career opportunities.

Anyways, I know there are a lot of job opportunities in Tokyo and the Kansai region but I really wish to move to and work in Kyushu, particularly in either the Fukuoka or Oita prefectures. I very rarely hear of foreigners that want to work in Kyushu so I'm unaware of the opportunities there.

How difficult is it to find a decent job in either of those prefectures with either of those degrees and fluency in both English and Japanese (obviously more fluent in English though)? I'd prefer a career in a business, but I'd be willing to teach English if it was long term (as far as I can tell it seems like most schools tend to hire with the expectation of them leaving within a few years).

Thanks in advance!
by Kimmy89  

a career in business? 2008/8/21 11:59
Can I ask what you are thinking of when you say "a career in business"? Marketing? Investment banking? The word is too broad really to cover any particular career. You are right in thinking that companies that hire non-Japanese are concentrated in Tokyo.

If you would like a longer term career in English teaching then you would need to study towards it, i.e. get a degree in TESOL.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Business.. 2008/8/21 14:36
For clarification of the business part, I'd probably have a minor in just General Business although I'm early enough in my degree that I can easily change my mind if I find that a different degree in the business field would open more doors.

I was mostly thinking that it'd probably be my English that would be utilized. Probably not translating, but maybe having a native English speaker in the company would make it easier to communicate more efficiently with foreign companies.

So I guess I really have two problems. One, I really want to find a career that I can pursue in Fukuoka or Oita. Two, I'm not exactly sure what degrees would get me those jobs.
by Kimmy89 rate this post as useful

Japan 2008/8/21 15:55
You are right about your English ability being one of the main reason that companies would hire you- I work for a Japanese company as an in-house proofreader and also help out any time they need an English speaker on hand.

Generally speaking, companies that are big enough to require the services of a native English speaker are found in the bigger cities (I work in Tokyo). You might have a chance in Fukuoka, but you might also spend a long time looking.

The industries that hire most English-speaking foreigners are: English teaching, IT, and finance (mostly investment banking).
by Sira rate this post as useful

reply to this thread