Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel agency help with cultural visa 2008/8/23 00:44
Is there a travel agency that helps with cultural visa? I wish to spend 6 months traveling around and learning the culture is different areas. No formal studies just curious.
by Dave03  

... 2008/8/23 13:24
If you look at the description for cultural visa on the following page: http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/04.html

...you will see that it involves research under the guidance of experts. So I wonder if what you are thinking of falls under this... And it's more that you have to deal directly with the Japanese embassy in your country; I don't think it's like tourist visa that you can simply ask the travel agency to arrange for.
by AK rate this post as useful

cultural visa 2008/8/23 13:38
I believe that a cultural visa is supposed to be for people who have already shown a certain amount of dedication to a particular aspect of Japanese culture and can prove that dedication. It's unlikely to be given to anyone with just a casual interest in Japanese culture.

As above it's not like a tourist visa so you need to contact your nearest Japanese Embassy/ consulate.

Here is a list of required documents from another page of the Mofa site:

In cases where the person concerned intends to engage in academic or artistic activities, or to engage in specific studies of Japanese culture or arts, the following materials are required.
Documents certifying the activity and its duration of the person concerned, and the outline of the organization where he or she intends to engage in the activity concerned.
Documents certifying the academic career, professional career, and other career regarding the activity of the person concerned.
Documents certifying that the person concerned can defray all expenses incurred during the stay in Japan.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Thankyou 2008/8/23 23:35
Thank you all for your attention on this matter. Just one more question. Is there any way to stay for a 6 months strech without studying or working? I would like to write a book maybe. I dont have a degree in writing or anything else and thats my angle with this concept.
by Dave03 rate this post as useful

out and in again 2008/8/24 07:34
You have the option of a quick flight or (slightly longer) ferry ride to Korea or China for example and then coming back into Japan for another 90 days/3 months.

There is a small possibility that Immigration could turn you away, but if you seem sincere and can show them that you have enough funds to travel in Japan for that amount of time, then you would likely be given the second tourist permit. I know various people who have done this successfully.

Thanks 2008/8/25 00:02
Thanks for the advice. I really am greatful.

Some advice 2008/8/25 08:18
Don't tell Immigration you are doing any kind of work in Japan- even researching for a book. Just come up with a plausible travel itinerary and reason for wanting to spend that long in Japan if asked.

thank 2008/8/25 12:25
Darn good advice thanks

reply to this thread