Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Living in Kyoto? 2008/8/25 02:37
Hello again! This time around I'm curious to see if some of you have lived and perhaps studied in Kyoto and know what it is like to be settled there for at least a year? I would appreciate very much to hear about your experiences of the city! Is it lively/stressful for example? What are the biggest differences from other japanese cities?

I would be so glad for a little information since I am considering going there to study this fall!
Thank you! :)
by Rose  

former Japanese student 2008/8/25 19:12
I've lived and studied in Kyoto but my impression may be different from others as I am Japanese.

Lively or stressful? I think it depends on what you're looking for. Kyoto is the most welknown "tourist" city as Rome in Italy. It has countless temples/shrines and if your interest is in old Japan, you'll never get bored. There also are many colleges/universities and the city is known for "students-friendly," too.

As for climate, it is very hot in summer and cold in winter. But it is very pleasant and beautiful in spring and fall. The downside is because the city is so pretty in spring and fall, streets are full of tourists on weekends during these seasons.

What else? As Kyoto is in west part of Japan, people speak "Kansai-ben (Kansai dialect)."
by JLady rate this post as useful

Tourists 2008/8/26 01:39
Hello JLady!
Yes, it is the tourist-feeling I am a little bit afraid of.. it seems like a wonderful city which makes it hard, I feel as though it shouldn't matter that much, considering foreigners and such, but.. well, I must keep making up my mind!
But thank you for your answer! =)
by Rose rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2008/8/26 03:12
Kyoto is like all touristy cities: 95% of the tourists visit the same places. Then there are many areas where they never go. One amusing example is Venice: the lanes and streets going from the railway station at one end and Piazza San Marco at the other can be as crowded as Tokyo metro at rush hours yet one block away there are empty streets with only a few locals. I have been a few times to Kyoto,at different times of the year,and it is definitely possible to find quiet pleasant areas.
by Monkey see rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/26 07:41
Monkey see is right. The city itself is not as hectic as business cities, such as, Tokyo. Just avoid tourist spots on weekends (famous temples, Shijo/Sanjo/Kawaramachi streets)and you'll be fine. The biggest advantage of living in Kyoto is that you don't have to visit famous spots on weekends! And if you study in a collge/university, you can find at least one or two cozy cafes where you can spend hours reading a book or a nameless (small) temple where you can take a nap! Walking/riding a bike along Kamo river is also very relaxing and pleasant.

Hmm...I miss my days in Kyoto!
by JLady rate this post as useful

reply to this thread