Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Autumn in Nagoya 2008/8/26 02:23
I plan to travel to Nagoya from 22/Oct - 31/Oct, this is my first time to visit Nagoya. My plan itinerary are going to Nagoya, Takayama, Kanazawa. Plan to stay near Nagoya Station.

1. Is this the best time for autumn viewing? where can I see autumn leaf?

2. Any fish market at Nagoya? If there is, how do I get there?

3. What is the weather like during this period? rain? temperature?

4. Any places that is must-see?

Thanks
by Alex  

... 2008/8/26 21:52
by Ts rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/27 08:12
Is this the best time for autumn viewing?

No, it is too early.

where can I see autumn leaf?

In higher elevations.

What is the weather like during this period? rain? temperature?

For Nagoya:
Average daytime highs around 20 degrees
Average nighttime lows around 10 degrees
Percentage of sunny days: around 68%
Percentage of rainy days: around 24%

Any places that is must-see?

Some ideas:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Recommended Time for Autumn in Nagoya 2008/8/27 13:13
Hi Uji,

Any recommended time for the best autumn viewing as this is our first trip for autumn season?

Which date will getting higher chance of peak autumn viewing:
1. between 7/Nov - 15/Nov
2. between 23/Nov - 31/Nov
by Alex rate this post as useful

Nagoya 2008/8/28 09:45
It's hard to predict the change of seasons nowadays but I think you stand a better chance of seeing autumn foliage in Nagoya around late Oct to early Nov.
Here are some reference sites for autumn foliage:
http://kouyou.nihon-kankou.or.jp/
http://www.rurubu.com/season/autumn/koyo/
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2014.html

For sight-seeing in Nagoya, take a look here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+53899

I don't know of any fish market in Nagoya, but since you're going to Kanazawa, there's one I'd visited. It's the Omicho Market where you can buy fresh seafood and have it cooked at nextdoor restaurants inside the market.
by William rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/28 11:27
Which date will getting higher chance of peak autumn viewing:
1. between 7/Nov - 15/Nov
2. between 23/Nov - 31/Nov

As stated by William, it is very difficult to predict.

Nevertheless, based on the timing of the leaves in recent years: in lower elevations, e.g. central Nagoya, Kanazawa and Kyoto, 23/Nov - 31/Nov is likely the better time for colored leaves. In higher elevations around Takayama, though, 23/Nov - 31/Nov will likely be too late.

... 2008/9/11 14:44
I will fly to Nagoya from 26/Oct - 3/Nov. I'll visit Matsumoto, Kamikochi & Takayama
from 28/Oct - 1/Nov.

Will I still able to catch the peak autumn foliage? Thanks

Kamikochi 2008/9/11 22:20
Within the time frame I think you stand a fair chance of seeing autumn foliage in Takayama.

I'm a bit worried about Kamikochi. It's said that the access road to Kamikochi maybe closed from the end of Oct. or early Nov. due to harsh weather condition. You better double check if you plan to go there.

... 2008/9/12 13:04
Thanks William.

Where can I online check the access condition to Kamikochi

good news 2008/9/13 02:14
It seems that there are still bus/train connection from Matsumoto to Kamikochi before mid. Nov., though frequency is less than that in warmer months.

http://www.alpico.co.jp/access/route_k/index_e.html

need advise itinerary 2008/9/14 02:02
Here my confirm itinerary, my purpose is to view autumn foliage. need you advise:

26/Oct - Flight to Nagoya
27/Oct - Nagoya
28/Oct - Matsumoto
29/Oct - Kamikochi
30/Oct - Daio Wasabi Farm
31/Oct - Takayama
1/Nov - Nagoya
2/Nov - Nagoya
3/Nov - Return to SG

some thoughts 2008/9/14 05:46
You should switch date between Daio Wasabi Farm and Kamikochi. Daio Wasabi Farm can be done as a side-trip from Matsumoto, just 20 min JR to Hotaka, followed by 15 min. rental bike or approx. 40 min walk.

Are you staying overnight in Kamikochi !? After visiting Kamikochi, you don't have to go back to Matsumoto, there is bus connection between Kamikochi and Takayama.

As for autumn foliage, I think you can see it in Kamikochi and Takayama. No guarantee though.

Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route 2008/9/25 15:55
Will be day trip to Kamikochi and return to Matsumoto in the afternoon.

I'm plan to Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route from Shinano-Omachi to Tateyama on 31/Oct.

1) I plan to start my trip by reaching Shinano-Omachi @ 8am. Am I still able to catch the train without much rushing reaching Takayama by 9pm and overnight there.

2) I try to cover most of the places along the route, from the website, it's said take 5 - 6hrs to finish the entire trip, is this consider not in hurry or minimum time needed including waiting time for transportation.

3) Am I still able to catch the autumn view and snow?

... 2008/9/25 19:03
it's said take 5 - 6hrs to finish the entire trip, is this consider not in hurry or minimum time needed including waiting time for transportation.

5-6 hours includes some sightseeing along the way. The timetables should give you an idea:
http://www.alpen-route.com/english/

Am I still able to catch the autumn view and snow?

In end of October you are sure to see snow in higher elevations and possibly still some autumn colors in the lower elevations. If autumn colors are still in good shape, you can also expect lots of crowds on weekends.

.. 2008/9/26 00:48
Thanks Uji..

I plan to Kanazawa after the alpine route.

Is there a direct train from Kanazawa to Nagoya? I found that most train to Nagoya need to switch train at Maibara

... 2008/9/26 05:41
Yes, the Shirasagi limited express operates directly between Toyama and Nagoya, stopping at Kanazawa along the way.

... 2008/9/26 05:42
It can be a few minutes faster to change from the Shirasagi to a shinkansen at Maibara Station. That is why this route often comes up on the timetable search results.

suggestions 2008/9/26 09:33
I'm slightly confused to read that after the Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route you want to go to Takayama on one post and Kanazawa on another. The Alpine Route is a whole day affair. It's better to bed down in Kanazawa which requires a shorter journey after the Route.

Even if you're carrying just a backpack, it's pretty troublesome to carry it with you onboard 6 different kinds of transports along the Alpine Route. Better have your luggage forwarded to Kanazawa and allow an overnight delivery through hotels.

Since you're doing Kamikochi on a day-trip from Matsumoto, reserve you bus/train seat the day before departure. Even with a seat reservation, after you arrive in Kamikochi, get a boarding ticket for your destinated departure first. With it you don't have to line up for your return bus and you're almost guaranteed a seat. Just be at the bus station 10 min before departure. You'll need a train transfer.

... 2008/9/26 14:36
Thanks Uji & William for your valuable information.

I change the plan to include Alpine Route and from Toyama to Takayama much further away than to Kanazawa. I decided to Kanazawa and visit to Omicho Market/Kenrouken Garden before heading back to Nagoya.

Is there a discount pass just like Kansai Pass for Chubu area?

reply to this thread