Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

colloquial use of a word 2008/8/26 14:54
I actually wanna know the meaning or the colloquial use of the word バーッ. Is it a Japanese onomatopoeia? Does it mean like "If we all could go with everyone"?

Another example is バーッと起きて, does it mean something like "wide awake" or "fully awake"?

Another one is 花壇がバーッと続いております. Is it something along "The flower bed is widely/vastly/massively everlasting/continuous"?

Cheers.
by foru  

I have another question 2008/8/26 18:17
最初は敬語使って接してくれてた訳ですよ。

Does this means "In the beginning he used keigo and i was touched by it"?

Thanks.
by foru rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/26 18:43
"baat(to)" describes something that happens in a rush, in one go, something with a lot of energy (in the case of "going" and "getting up"), and in extension, in the case of "flower fields," extensive - imagine you go get to the top of the mountain, and the flower fields are stretching in front of your eyes endlessly - your eyes travel from one end to the far, far reach in one, long stroke. I can't really come up with one expression that will suit all three situations :)

おれらみんなでバーッと行ったら when all of us guys went there (expecting something/expecting fun)

バーッと起きて get up (and get ready) in one go

花壇がバーッと続いております the flower fields extends on and on

最初は敬語を使って接してくれていたわけですよ。
- Initially he used to use keigo with me, you know.

This …わけですよ is like …んですよ、just describing a situation.
by AK rate this post as useful

バーッと 2008/8/26 23:24
Japanese language is full of onomatopoeia.

Imagine a bag full of millions of marbles being suddenly spread onto a wooden floor. That to me is "baatto".
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread