Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Marriage question where to begin? 2008/8/26 18:19
Hello I am seeking some advice that would be greatly appreciated. Okay so my fiance and I are planning to get married very soon. He is Japanese and I am from the states. Anyway he feels that I should apply for an ARC as soon as I get there, though part of me thinks its probably better to get married first then go apply for the ARC. I understand that the ARC is necessary to obtain my spouse visa, but do I need it in order to get married as well? It just seems redundant to apply for it and then have to go and make changes to it after the marriage. Any advice would be extremely helpful
by soon to be wife  

ARC 2008/8/27 09:11

Yes, you should apply for the ARC as soon as you have a fixed address in Japan. Without it, registering your marriage in Japan will be a lot more difficult.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/8/27 18:09
Thanks so much Dave. My mind is now at ease. I will do that asap.
by soon to be wife rate this post as useful

Marriage 2008/8/28 04:03
Being you are in Japan and I am in the US, things might be a little different. My Japanese girlfriend (Now wife) applied for a Fiance Vise before we married. It was very easy and only took a few months. Once approved,we had to married within three months. Again, since you are in Japan, it may differ from the paper work in the US.
by Ron rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/28 09:47

as you suspected, the Japanese system is different from the US one, and there are no fiance visa's in Japan.

Soon To Be Wife,

I was recently in a similar situation to you as I just recently got married in Japan. I am American and my wife is Japanese. Anyway, here is a list of what you will need to complete the marriage paperwork:

1. Alien Registration Card - (any changes you need to make to it after the marriage can be done immediately after you are married, as both marriage and ARC issues are handled by the your city hall)

2. Birth Certificate - I called up the city hall to see if I needed it. They said no, but I got one anyway. Turns out I did need it, so I'd bring one just in case.

3. Translation of Birth Certificate - Your fiance can do it, it doesn't have to be official.

4. Hanko - there was discussion on whether or not I needed this or if my signature would be ok. I had one anyway, so it wasn't a problem.

5. Notarized Affidavit of Competency to Marry - obtainable from the US Embassy and found online here:


I think that's all. You can find out more information on marriage in Japan here:

by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thank you so much 2008/8/29 14:04
Thanks so much I will inform my fiance about this especially the hanko. I didn't even think about that one. Thanks again.
by soon to be wife rate this post as useful

hanko 2008/8/30 00:08
you will not need a hanko
by out rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/8/30 09:02
Cool I didn't think so about the hanko thanks for the clarification.
by soon to be wife rate this post as useful

one more thing 2008/9/4 06:41
Is it difficult to obtain the arc on a 90 day stay? I have read on some boards that it is and some other sources say it is not.
by soon to be wife rate this post as useful

ARC 2008/9/4 07:50
soon to be wife,

Unlike the situation with applying for visas, obtaining an ARC is just a formality and there is no approval process. It just takes a couple of weeks for the card to be made. Provided you have a fixed address, there should be no problem. Besides, as everyone staying in Japan for more than 90 days must register, presumably most people applying will be on a 90-day visa anyway.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Thanks 2008/9/4 14:44
Thanks again Dave you are a very big help. I really appreciate it. Thank you everyone for your replies.
by soon to be wife rate this post as useful

reply to this thread