Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Days and Numeric dates 2008/8/28 08:21
Good morning. Would someone be so kind as to list numbers 1 to 31, e.g 五人 (5)in Japanese symbols for me please?
Thank you
Regards Mary
Sydney Australia 28.08.2008 9.21a.m.
by Mary  

... 2008/8/28 11:06
You are trying to count calendar days right? Because 五人 means 5 people.

Anyway check out this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_numbers
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2008/8/28 11:09

yllwsmrf 2008/8/28 21:43
Dear yllwsmrf
Thank you for your reply.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E6%97%A5#Counter. Was helpful however, I don't want to make a mistake and this only goes to 21, would you mind writing in Japanese the next 10 numbers to 31 for me please?
Do I have the following correct? Sunday to Saturday
日曜日,月曜日,火曜日,水曜日,
曜日,金曜日,土曜日.
Are these 3 days and dates correct?
Thursday 曜日 一日 1
Friday 金曜日 二日 2
Saturday 土曜日三日 3
Your help is appreciated, thank you for your time.
Mary Culshaw 28.08.08 10.43p.m.
by Mary rate this post as useful

Thursday 2008/8/28 22:46
You are missing the first symbol of Thursday, it's 木曜日, not just 曜日.

Are you wanting to write dates Japanese-style? They are not normally written in the way you have written them above, and the use of Roman numerals is much more common in dates than Japanese numbers.

For example, today's date (Aug 28, Thurs) would be written 8月28日 (木) in most situations.

Or are you making a calendar?
by Sira rate this post as useful

yllwsmrf 2008/8/29 01:14
Thank you for your reply
yllwsmrf. Yes I am making a Calendar. The idea is for anyone to be able to read it, understand it,and use it.In either Japanese or English.
Thank you for your time.
Best Regards
Mary

... 2008/8/29 09:53
Actually that was Sira's advice so I'll redirect the thank you to her.

If you are making a calendar, a Japanese Calendar looks a lot like an English Calendar. The difference may be as small as replacing the Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc. with kanji.

I would make a bilingual one by starting with an English calendar and rewriting the days of the week followed by kanji in parenthesis:

Sunday (日), Monday (月), Tuesday (火), Wednesday (水), Thursday (木), Friday (金), Saturday (土)

yllwsmrf 2008/8/29 10:07
Thank you for your email. Yes do thank Sira for me. Would you include the Japanese lettering for the numbers or not? I made my second visit to Japan in 2004, and although there are those who speak English the majority do not.
However, I believe many of them can read and write English while not speaking the language. If you think the numbers would be a good idea, would you mind sending me 22-31 in Japanese please?
Best Regards. Enjoy your day.
Mary 29.08.08 11.00AM

calendar 2008/8/29 12:44
All Japanese people, young and old, can read Roman numerals as they are used here in preference to the Japanese characters.

Most Japanese people would actually find a calendar with the numbers written in Japanese harder to read than one with Roman numerals.

I work for a Japanese company and every calendar on the wall of the office has Roman numerals.

Sira 2008/8/29 13:01
Dear Sira
Thank you for your reply.Your help is greatly appreciated.
One last question: Will I write the name of the months in both English and Japanese?
If so could you tell me where I would find the written English translation into Japanese for the names of each month please?
Are the months of the year in Japan the same as ours. I ask this only because I read October which is the 10th month, is classified as the 8th month in Japan.
Enjoy your day.
Regards
Mary

... 2008/8/29 13:15
Japanese uses the same numbering of the months as English. It's pretty simple, just the number plus the kanji for month:

January: 1月
February: 2月
March: 3月

etc, etc.

yllwsmrf & Sira 2008/8/29 15:27
Dear yllwsmrf & Sira,

Thank you both for your patience, and tolerance.
Do have a great week-end.

Regards
Mary 29.08.08 4.25p.m.

... 2008/8/29 15:30
no problem. happy to help!

October 2008/8/30 07:51
I'm not sure where you heard October is the 8th month in Japan- as above it's the 10th month here as well, so it's 10月 (literally, the tenth month)

Ways to remember them 2008/8/30 10:49
Days of the week are different to the numbers when spoken.

Nichyoobi is one in days of week and it is Sunday. Moon is for Monday etc. but written as numbers.

Ich is one in number when counting endlessly.

Ichi, ni, san is only used for individual days such as the 4th.

So one can remember days of week with rhymes of the first sounds getskaisuiyokukindoinich

But I imagine why you're written is to design birthday card.
by Numbers rate this post as useful

Numbers 2008/8/31 10:38
Dear Numbers
Thank you for your input.
No I am not trying to make a card, I am trying to make a bilingual calendar for 2009
:-).
Best Regards
Mary

. 2008/9/1 11:02
Nichyoobi is one in days of week and it is Sunday.
Moon is for Monday etc. but written as numbers.

Aren't you talking about Chinese?
Japanese day-of-week names are never written as numbers.

Ichi, ni, san is only used for individual days such as the 4th.

1st day of the month is tsuitachi, 2nd is futsuka, 3rd is mikka etc.

So one can remember days of week with rhymes of the first sounds
getskaisuiyokukindoinich

"getsu ka sui moku kin do nichi" (mon tue wed thu fri sat sun) is correct.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

meringue4 2008/9/1 14:59
Dear Meringue4,
Thank you. Everyone has been so helpful supplying me with information I could not identify on the web.
Today is our first day of Spring. It is a beautiful day the sun is shining, blue skies, and soft white cloud puffs.I wish each of you a very happy day.
Best Regards
Mary 01.09.08 4.00p.m.
by mary rate this post as useful

Mary, I'm actually rhubarb, wrote 2008/9/6 16:56
numbers by mistake. Been cloudy lately.

I live down-under too.

ja mata
by Rhubarb rate this post as useful

reply to this thread